This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida

Okay I started a new job serving at a beach club, members only place. Very nice. Iím 27 and started serving when I was 16. I haven't served in about 3 years until now. So I start this job and my cousin works there, and she tells me that the manager is really mean. I didn't know if she was just being sensitive until I start. The lady is like a slave driver! She is totally degrading. She talks to you like youíre a dog or you donít understand English. Sheís tall and gets down in your face to talk to you. I was totally blown away. Hereís the other crazy part she wonít let you have a break, unless you smoke then you can have 3 min. once a day. I worked 13 hours the other day and was told to hurry up and eat as I stood in the kitchen and had to inhale my food in 5 min. My cousin said you donít get breaks. Not a lunch or a dinner, they do feed you but you have to stand there and eat it as fast as you can. She said something to them once, she said ďisnít there a law that says we have to have a break?Ē and the manager said ďthere is a law that you donít have to work here!Ē Anyway there are lots more things but I was just wondering about this and the laws in FL.
    Last edited by npoulsen1; 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM.

If you are in Florida no, there is no law requiring that you get a break. When you were 16 there may have been, but there are no Federal or state laws requiring an adult employee in Florida (or a great many other states as well) to receive any breaks at all.

This is not to say that I agree with your employer or the way she is handling it, but it's her right to be a bad manager.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X