This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unscheduled work and prior engagements. Connecticut

My girlfriend and I had a date last Saturday, but she never showed up because her manager made her work unscheduled hours after another employee walked out. Instead of getting off at 4:30pm, she wasn't allowed to leave until 1am. That's not such a bad thing, because she needs the money. The problem is that she wasn't allowed to call me to let me know that she wouldn't be able to make it. Is that illegal? If not, it should be, because I was left waiting all night, thinking that she was seriously injured, while I could have been doing something productive if I had known that she was ok and wouldn't be there.

Yes, it's legal. Only the police have to allow you to make a phone call if you're arrested.

That said, I can't imagine what this employer was thinking by not allowing employees to use the phone to call their families or whatever to say they would be working late. I have to say, though, that this strikes me as so incredibly unlikely - an employee being required to stay 9 hours over not being allowed to make a phone call - that I wonder if you're getting the whole story from your girlfriend.

Comment

Nothing illlegal there, but it would have been nice to let her call someone to let them know that she was working longer than expected.

Heck, I allow that at my expense under those circumstances.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
        I wonder if you're getting the whole story from your girlfriend.
        Wouldn't be the first time.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X