No announcement yet.

Receiving earned vacation time. Connecticut

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Receiving earned vacation time. Connecticut

    I was recently let go from my job. I also just learned that CT is an "at will" state. I was told that the reason that they are letting me go is because they are restructuring and I will no longer be needed. After 3 years of employment I have earned vacation time. I was told that I will not be getting that vacation pay. Can anyone tell me why I am not entitled to getting that pay?

  • #2
    Whether a person should receive accrued vacation pay when leaving a job is a matter of state law. To the best of my knowledge, Connecticut is NOT one of the states that requires the payout of accrued vacation time.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!


    • #3
      Connecticut law does require payout of earned vacation at termination if the company's policy, employment agreement, or a CBA provides for it. What does the company policy say?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      • #4

        Payment of fringe benefits upon termination of employment. (Sec. 31-76k).

        If an employer policy or collective bargaining agreement provides for the payment of accrued fringe benefits upon termination, including but not limited to paid vacations, holidays, sick days and earned leave, and an employee is terminated without having received such accrued fringe benefits, such employee shall be compensated for such accrued fringe benefits exclusive of normal pension benefits in the form of wages in accordance with such agreement or policy but in no case less than the earned average rate for the accrual period pursuant to sections 31-71a to 31-71i, inclusive.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.