This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Schedule & Cut in hours Connecticut

My husband and I have been working at the same company for over a year. When we were hired, he was given a contract and I was not (long story). We were to be full time (M-F, 9-5) with schedules that match and can be adjusted to care for our son.

The company is a corporation out of CA. Our local office manager and my husband have been having issues lately. She was threatening to fire him - until he told her that she was making illegal threats etc due to his contract. So then she kept saying" well your wife doesn't have a contract" - as in I can fire her.

Now, I have been cut down to 28 hrs, and my schedule is 9:30 - 5 M, T, W & F. My husband's schedule is now M,T,W 1:30 PM - 9:00 PM, Th 9:30 - 5 (my day off) and Friday 7:30AM - 3:00PM. Also instead of the schedule being done for a month at a time, it is now going to be done each week and will be given out on Friday for the following Monday.

Is this legal? Short of quitting, is there anything else I can do about this? I have complained to HR in corporate but they are just shrugging and saying that business is slow. Any help would be appreciated. The new schedule is due to kick in on Monday. Thanks!
    Last edited by willownewmorn; 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM.

Unfair yes, illegal no.

BTW, THREATENING to fire your husband was not illegal, contract or no. If he had ACTUALLy been fired, then depending on the terms of the contract he might or might not have had a case for breach of contract, but the LAW did not prohibit either the threats or the firing.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      Unfair yes, illegal no.

BTW, THREATENING to fire your husband was not illegal, contract or no. If he had ACTUALLy been fired, then depending on the terms of the contract he might or might not have had a case for breach of contract, but the LAW did not prohibit either the threats or the firing.
      Actually the threat was not allowed by the contract. Sorry.

Comment

That still does not make it a violation of the law, only a violation of the contract.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You have a contract that covers threats??

In any case as you are not under contract, it is legal to cut your hours. How you arrange transportation and child care not the employer's concern as they have no control over either matter.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            You have a contract that covers threats??
            That's what I thought, too.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X