X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work Environment Virginia

Two issues.
    1. I had to leave a sales meeting to have a medical procedure peformed. My mangager knew all about it beforehand and used the appropriate "corporate" speak"... Your health comes first

However, at the meeting, she tells me, "I am doing you a favor by letting you leave early. I expect you to show a little more leadership".

I was scheduled to have another, more prolonged procedure, under general anesthesia, however I moved that appointment to later in the year due to the following incident.

2. I informed my manger in Oct that I was taking vacation in april. Yes I sent an e-mail and yes I have copies. I also told her again in Nov. and Dec that we were going to be gone over spring break. Our company will be launching a new drug some time in april, we have not been told the exact date yet. I am to be the lead rep for this new drug. When she was with me a couple weeks ago, she stated, "I made you the XX lead, and here you are taking vacation during the launch. I went out on a limb for you and now you are going to be gone during this critcal time".

there are more instances, but those are the two major ones. Pretty pathentic when an employee does not feel as tho they can take care of their own medical needs without fear of retaliation. and, yest there has been retaliation in the form of written reports that managers are required after they spend the day with you. She has been the manager for 8 months and prior to that I had an excellent record with all peformance appraisals above the norm. I am also the most tenured rep, the highest paid and the oldest.

And your question is?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by rxsales View Post
      Two issues.
      1. I had to leave a sales meeting to have a medical procedure peformed. My mangager knew all about it beforehand and used the appropriate "corporate" speak"... Your health comes first

However, at the meeting, she tells me, "I am doing you a favor by letting you leave early. I expect you to show a little more leadership".

I was scheduled to have another, more prolonged procedure, under general anesthesia, however I moved that appointment to later in the year due to the following incident.

2. I informed my manger in Oct that I was taking vacation in april. Yes I sent an e-mail and yes I have copies. I also told her again in Nov. and Dec that we were going to be gone over spring break. Our company will be launching a new drug some time in april, we have not been told the exact date yet. I am to be the lead rep for this new drug. When she was with me a couple weeks ago, she stated, "I made you the XX lead, and here you are taking vacation during the launch. I went out on a limb for you and now you are going to be gone during this critcal time".

there are more instances, but those are the two major ones. Pretty pathentic when an employee does not feel as tho they can take care of their own medical needs without fear of retaliation. and, yest there has been retaliation in the form of written reports that managers are required after they spend the day with you. She has been the manager for 8 months and prior to that I had an excellent record with all peformance appraisals above the norm. I am also the most tenured rep, the highest paid and the oldest.
      Nothing in your post remotely comes close to a hostile work enviroment. Pathentic and stupid--yes, but no illegal. Unless your race, gender, age, religion, etc.. was the basis for your employer singling you out, then you just have an unfortunate idiot for a boss.
      Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Actually, I completely agree with your boss when it comes to issue #2. I would not have communicated my opinion in the same way she did, but she makes a valid point - you are the lead person for the sales team for this new drug, and you are going to be gone during its launch. I'm not a sales person, but that seems like a fairly important time. Unless I'm totally missing something, you said you were going out "on vacation" in April - not having your medical procedure done - so this sounds like you're taking vacation because you want to, not because you need to.

There is nothing in the law that allows an employee to take sick or vacation days whenever he or she wants to. Your employer is allowed to deny your requests for sick and/or vacation leave (frankly, I am shocked you weren't denied leave in April, given the circumstances). I'm really not sure what you're so upset about here, besides some ruffled feathers.

As far as issue #1 - I don't think your boss handled this as fairly as she could have and I don't think she communicated well, but again, I see nothing illegal and certainly nothing that constitutes a "hostile environment."

Comment

speaking for myself... if you want a leadership role and the leadership bucks, you have to sacrifice some of the other parts of your life.

I waited on a root canal for 2 months due to business concerns. I have actually given presentations after a shoulder injury caused in the car accident I had on the way to the meeting.

Cowboy up and decide... if you don't want the responsibility, tell your boss.... you both will appreciate it. This passive aggressive garbage needs to go.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
          X