This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with calling off sick in Pennsylvania

I was told by a fellow employee that our supervisor had called him and told him he was not to call off
    my fellow emloyee works 11pm- 7am and had recently called off sick 2 days in a row(friday and saturday) due to a medical issue from a surgery he had a while back. on sunday our supervisor had called in my fellow employee at 830am and left a message to call back. My fellow employee called back, and my supervisor stated, "I Know you called off the last 2 days because you were sick, and i hope you feel better, but I cant have you calling off again tonight(sunday). If you do it will cause problems. Im not telling you not to call off, im just stating that if you do there will be problems." the phone call left my friend very upset.

to me this sounds like harasment, Is it? Is there anything my friend can do about this?

Also are employers aloud to question as to why you are calling off, even if you state you are ill ?

No, it is not harassment and it is not illegal. Calling in at the last minute and on hard to fill shifts does cause a problem and the employer is perfectly allowed to discourage this.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

And yes, employers are allowed to ask why you are absent.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

he was not calling off last minute. my boss called him at 830 am around the time my friend falls asleep on the night shift. My friend was not due in until 11 pm that night my boss calld him about 14 hours befor his shift. our company policy states we can call off up to 1 hour befor the shift but if we can be Courteous and give an 8 hour notice.

also on other ocassions my boss has told other employees " im so sick and tired of you people calling off", and what the F**k do you mean your calling off." on one ocassion my daughter who was 2 at the time was sick and had to go to the ER, I called in stating i was calling off for my daughter and my supervisor stated "you do know you are really screwing your shift, Have a nice day " in an agressive manor and slammed the phone"

Comment

Sorry, but calling off the same day as your shift is calling off with little notice. Your employer doens't ever have to be happy about you missing time, regardless of the reason.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X