This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in Work Week Washington

Our current work week is Thursday to Wednesday. Due to fact that we are starting direct deposit for our employees, we are shifting the work week to Wednesday to Tuesday. Because of this change, the first week will only include pay for 4 days (Thursday to Tuesday). Are there any issues with changing the work week as far as the law or overtime rules?

Dave

I'm not sure why going to direct deposit would force you to change what you consider a week, but that is another matter. As for OT, you still need to use 7 full days to determine whether OT is due. Just because you are cutting them a check for just 4 days of work, doesn't mean you get to discount any hours over 40 they work in that 168 hour time period.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

As far as why we're needing to change...currently our pay period end on Wednesday, we process payroll on Thursday and cut checks on Friday. For direct deposit, we need to have the pay file to the bank on Wednesday, so we need to back up the pay period to end on Tuesday so we can process payroll and have the file to the bank on Wednesday.

I understand the issue about overtime, but how do you calculate it when the work week is shortened. Our overtime was based on the 168 hours from Thursday through Wednesday. How do we handle the transition week.

Dave

Comment

You would still look at how many hours were worked Thursday to Wednesday. For the next week look at Wednesday to Tuesday. It doesn't mean you have to double pay the straight time hours worked, but if in those periods of time there were more than 40 hours, you owe OT.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Okay, I get that. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Comment

And here are the related FLSA regs:
            http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.301.htm
            http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.302.htm

Now, I understand why you're changing the workweek; it's because you want the workweek to correspond with the pay period, right? And you have to submit your payroll earlier than you do know. However, have you thought about just changing the pay date?
            Last edited by Pattymd; 02-23-2007, 02:53 AM.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X