Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does an employer have to tell you they used your vacation days - CA California

I've been working for about a year in California at a local magazine and was scheduling my 10 days vacation time with my supervisor. He told me i did not have ten days, i had just 5. I asked what he meant and he told me that 5 of the days were used to cover the time the office was closed during Christmas.

I understand that they are legally able to use your vacation days to cover holidays. my question is, is it legal to do so with out your knowledge?

In the industry i work in (publishing) it is common practice for the office to be closed during the holiday season for a week or more because there are no publications during that time, and it is standard procedure to be paid during this break, so i never thought or was told otherwise. Also, i my boss had known about the ten days i needed off for a vacation i planned well before Christmas and never mentioned that i would only have 5 left (because of the 5 for Christmas) till right when i was scheduling the exact dates of my leave several months after Christmas.

FYI It is a small office and we have no written vacation agreement, strictly an oral agreement.

Is this legal? Do i have any recourse?

Thanks any help is great!

Originally posted by arcoarco View Post
    Is this legal? Do i have any recourse?
    You were paid for a week that you did not work and you are complaining?
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Definitely legal. You may want to ask your boss if you can take the 5 days off as unpaid leave. Especially if the boss knew about it before, he may be more flexible.

Comment

Working...
      X