This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to work 7 days a week Minnesota

Hello, Its been awhile since I've posted. I was wondering what the laws were in Minnesota in regards to forcing union employees to work 7 days a week my husband's employer is talking about forcing them to this schedule as needed (which we fear would be ALL the time) his union (the teamsters) say that there is language in their contract allowing them to do so depending on their overtime needs. Contract or not is this even legal? Further more and not that you would have the answer to this question but why would his union agree to this???

What makes matters worse (he's only getting one day a week off at this point thanks to their contract agreement) his employers attendance standards are so strict to take any additional time off - 3 sick days a year - you're practically forced to apply for FMLA which is not always granted its very possible that he could be fired if there is an unforeseen emergency that FMLA won't cover.

let me know if you can - Abby

posted wrong forum

OK upon reading other posts in the overtime forum, I realize that my state is NOT one of the few that make it illegal to work 7 days a week as long as appropriate overtime wages are paid. As I stated my husband is part of a union but they negotiated this factor into their contract so nothing is to be done he'll just work himself completely ragged. This frustrates me but thats life Plus I'm pretty sure I posted in the wrong forum... so sorry.

Comment

you're practically forced to apply for FMLA which is not always granted

The reason it's not always granted is that not all illnesses qualify for FMLA. The statute is very specific about what is considered a FMLA-qualifying condition. It's not the employer's being petty; it's the law requiring that it be a serious health condition before FMLA is granted.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X