This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired and paycheck held acusd of stealing California

I was employed by a photo-lab in the bay area. In the 9 months I worked there I got a raise and a bonus for my work... After work like the rest of the employees I would use company equipment to scan my negatives and also I would have my film developed for free. The written policy was 50% of any order we placed, but because of the family atmosphere and also being a new employee following the lead of others I was under the impression that my actions I.E. free developing, using equipment and placing personal orders and then deleting them from the computer was common practice afterall the company was not physicly losing any money no product was being taken just services and even my boss was a participent..
    after my vacation I was fired and charged $2,500.00 for my "stolen services"
    no other employee suffered not even a non-employee who was there after hours scanning his work. Anyway My $900 paycheck was taken and I was threatened a law suit and police action if I did not pay the remaining money.. "They have no proof just stuff they say is proof"
    I am taken aback by the whole thing and think that I was sold out and a scape goat for others.. I know what I did was wrong now that that I look back on it but I would think my check should still be mine. it has been 10 days since my check should have arrived..

Developing photos for free is taking a product. You are using their chemicals and paper to develop the photos, right? Anyhow, a final paycheck still needs to be issued without any deductions for the photo developing. The employer cannot simply help themselves to what they feel is theirs. Furthermore, since you were not issued a paycheck upon termination a waiting time penalty would apply at the rate of one days wages for each day you had to wait.
    My intention is not to argue over who is wrong/right. I am here for the discussion and to learn and teach. If you dislike what I have to say or think I question you when I shouldn't, then by all means add me to your ignore list.

Comment

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Paydays.htm
      http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

yes

yes I was using there chemistry but no photo paper. mostly I was just using the equipment to scan my negatives. can they fire one employee but not the rest? all were doing it. thanks so much for the repy...
        rgards, Charles

Comment

Yes they can fire one and not all.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X