Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pennsylvania Employer forcing employee to do a job outside of their job Pennsylvania

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Employer forcing employee to do a job outside of their job Pennsylvania

Hello, I have a question that has recently happened to me and I would like some advice on it.
    My employer hired two people after me (I have been at my job for 3 years) she has chosen to train these two girls in a indepth training where she sat with me for a 1/2 hour to train me in these same things, she sat with them for days training them. She then recently asked me if I would clean the offices in the mornings at work. When I informed her that I didn't want to do that job, but I was willing to pitch in if we did it on a rotating basis with the two new girls pitching in and taking days of cleaning also. She informed me that if I didn't accept the cleaning of the offices then she was going to cut my hours to part time. When I asked her why my hours she told me that she couldn't move me anywhere else. I asked her why not and she (lied to my face) telling me that she can't put me back on the phones because she had complaints about me. This I know is a lie because I have always answered the phones in a polite and professional manner. The owner has even complimented me on how I answered the phones. She then informed me that she didn't think that I could "do" the work that she was training the other girls to do because I wasn't catching on fast enough. I told her that she did not train me as she is training the others and she told me she did.
    In the end my question is, since I am an administrative assistant, and have seniority, can she force me to do the cleaning of the offices or cut my hours for refusing to do it? (For the record, she did not originally approach me with it as being mandatory, she told me she would get a price from a cleaning company on the plant alone and then a second price for the plant and office area. When I told her I wasn't interted in the office area she then informed me it wasn't a choice.)
    Any accurate and professional information I can receive would be appreciated, I really can't afford to hire a lawyer, as I am a single mother of three children, but will try to find a way to do it if I need to.
    Thank you,
    Briteeyes

Your employer may ask you to perform any task that is not hazardous or illegal.

In addition, your employer may terminate you for not performing these new tasks... and doesn't have to pay you any extra to do them.

I know how you feel... and it is a common method to demean an employee until they quit.

Sounds like you may want to put out the old resume.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
      Your boss is an (deleted) you need to start looking for a new job.
      JoeC
      Okay, that was more to the point... but the gist is the same.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

I am already looking for a new job but some how I don't feel that I should go out with out a fight. It seems more like the bully at the playground to me. I will make my statment before I got but I won't make it easy on her to do such a thing. Thank you for your information.

Comment

Something I forgot to add is that every time we have a change of job, we have to sign a new job description. I am asked if I understand and agree to that "new description" when I am to sign this. I have not been given a new job discription to sign and if cleaning isn't in my old one then how can she force me to do it?

Comment

Because there isn't a law against it.

Job duties change all the time... and there is no law in having employees change their duties to suit the changing environment.

However, you need to get out of there before they have you doing the landscaping.

Comment

And, joec, is it really necessary to use that type of language?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

This time I deleted the language.

Next time I delete the post.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Give me a break!

I have worked varrious jobs in my life, including cleaning, and while it is not fun, it can usually be accomplished by someone making minimum wage. I know when I was a cleaning employee that I got minimum wage. So, if you are making anything other than minimum wage, why would you NOT do the cleaning, especially if it means full time hours!

One of my jobs, where I was making $25 an hour, was at a resort of 2500 people, my department was told we would have to start cleaning our own toilets, work area, etc. where prior it was all done by Housekeeping. A whole bunch of these guys started complaining about having to do cleaning untill I pointed out, "How long do you think this will last when they realise they are now paying technician wages for housekeeping duties?"
                  This shut most of them up and indeed the policy was recended two weeks later.

My suggestion is you embrace the cleaning job and make the place look better than it ever has! Get them to spend all the money needed for proper supplies, gloves, buckets, cloths, face masks, ALSO inform them that they have to have MSDS forms on each chemical stored or used on the site in a easily accessed area, and of course if you are using cleaning chemicals, they will need to provide you with an emergency eye wash station, etc. You are still getting more than someone hired for it would get paid, and if your smart, you will simply prove your worth.
                  Last edited by rcpilot; 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
                  What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
                  what is heard is not always what is spoken!
                  ~M. Noitall~

Comment

Reply to Give me a Break

I don't mind pitching in... I don't mind doing the job. What I do mind is getting screwed over repeatedly by this one female boss. She has screwed me over in the past and she will do it again with this. My problem is more of her lieing about my job performance more then it is the cleaning. She is giving me the job because it is a demeaning job (not saying that anyone doing a cleaning job is less then me I do not mean it that way at all) but because I am the one of the three other women in the office who is there longer then the other two and she is doing it to see how much I will take. I don't play petty games. I will do what I have to do to keep a pay check until I have another job. I will wind up eventually cleaning until I have everything situated where I can quit but I will make sure that everyone knows I am quitting because I don't work for a liar. It would be different if I didn't ask her from the first day I was hired that if I do any thing wrong to please tell me immediately so that I can correct it. I don't think that everyone tells the truth always, but I do my job to the best of my ability all the time, don't lie about my work performance, use any other excuse.
                    Thank you for your replies I very much appreciate it.

Comment

Just because you think you do a good job does not mean she is lying about the complaints. Some people will complain about just about anything. I would ask her what the nature of the complaints was and if there is something you can do to improve. It might be that you are too "business-like" or it is taking you longer than the others to accomplish tasks.

Writing them off because you feel you are doing an adequate job is the wrong way to go. Even if she is making it up or exaggerating, going on the defensive and refusing to change or seek ways to improve is not going to help you. You may be on your way out the door, but there is no sense burning bridges as you leave, nor making those last few weeks a power struggle.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                      X