This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligible for unemployment???? New Jersey

Hello. I am a bookkeeper. My employer gives certain employees a monthly check for travel expenses. They do actually travel. They receive a 1099 at the end of the year. As far as I , and the IRS, are concerned - I believe this is all income and needs to be included in wages on their W-2. I have been harping on this for months, to no avail. I have convinced the controller of this but the final change must come from the president. I go in to work today and begin my bank reconciliation, which is done daily. A check was written this morning to the controller for $1820.00. I look to see where it is posted. She made herself a 1099 vendor and posted the $1820.00 to traveling expense. She does not even travel. I thought my head was going to explode. If I quit this job on the grounds that they practice unethical accounting methods and are ripping off the IRS and State of New Jersey would I be disqualified from collecting benefits ?????????

Why not just keep this job while looking for another? It is questionable that you would get benefits for this reason and if you do, it is still going to be lss than you are making while working.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It is a principle thing. I have to cohabitate the same office as the controller. I now have no respect for her whatsoever and don't know if I can stomach that. I explicitely told them when I started this job that I operate by the book. I called the IRS and they said this is tax fraud. I do have a large car payment, though. I faxed out a few resumes this afternoon.

Comment

Well then you have to decide which is more important to you, the money or principle. Generally speaking if you quit because you don't respect your officemate and disagree with a business practice, you wouldn't qualify.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Disagree with a business practice??? More like accesory to committing tax fraud. I would hope there is a difference. Being in the accounting world holds with it an assumed degree of integrity to which I hold myself. I will put a call in to the unemployment office tomorrow. My daughter suggests I get myself a nice big check, find another job and turn them in to the IRS anyway.

Comment

I'm not saying you don't have reason to want to leave and that they may be handling the funds incorrectly, but I'd be shocked if you were awarded UC based on the fact that your employer reported supplementary income on a 1099 vs. a W-2. You are welcome to quit and find out for yourself but you asked for opinions and in mine, it is far from certain that you would qualify based on this. It is up to you whether you want to take that chance or not.

Comment

Originally posted by cmlyn123 View Post
              If I quit this job on the grounds that they practice unethical accounting methods and are ripping off the IRS and State of New Jersey would I be disqualified from collecting benefits ?????????
              Ideally, you would get benefits, but that would depend upon some authority deciding that the company was committing fraud OR that you were fired in retaliation for reporting the problem. Simply claiming that you quit because of unethical business practices (which the company will deny happened) won't cut it.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Good point. I would need to prove my allegations. I think I will just let the IRS take care of that. Oh well, I guess I will just have to find another job. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X