This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory parking fees Colorado

Can my Colorado employer mandate a parking fee for At-Will emloyees in a "contract of employment"? If so, are there price limitations to these fees and is the employer obligated to assign parking spaces? Thanks, Nina

What type of "contract" is this? Many people who think they have a valid "contract" really do not.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I really don't see anything wrong with a company charging a fee to anyone parking on its premises.

If you, as an employee or a customer don't want to charge whatever fee it is, no matter how large or small, don't park on the property.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Mandatory parking fees Colorado

My Colorado employer will draw up a "condition of employment" contract that will state that all At-Will employees will have parking fees deducted from their pay whether they use the lot or not. If the employee refuses to sign the contract, employment will be terminated. In other words, the employer is reducing everyone's pay to support his parking lot, and if we refuse to sign such a contract w/ him we will be fired.

Is this lawful?

Comment

Under the Colorado Wage Act, deductions by written agreement between the employer and employee. The agreement may be for loans, pay advances, goods or services, and equipment or property. The agreement must be in writing, enforceable, and not in violation of law. So in essence, your employer can make this a condition of employment and it is perfectly legal.
          Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Mandatory parking fees Colorado

As I dug around the Labor Dept website, I discovered, much to my dismay, that Colorado employers can draw up such pay-reduction contracts.

I guess I work for a crampy employer; one who doesn't care about his employees, or believes that happy employees produce better products. Oh well, some employers just have to learn the hard way.

Comment

I think it would be easier to pay the employees a few bucks less a month and provide the parking free of charge.

Heck, parking in downtown Bangor is only $30 a month. That is $7.50 a week or a bit over 18 cents an hour for a 40 hour work week.

Ooops! Make that $30 a week. So the costs go from 18 cents an hour to 72.
              Last edited by ScottB; 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
              X