This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIVING AND WORKING ALONE Utah

My husband works @ a job where often times he is on a construction job site alone for 8-12 hours a day? Are there any safety rules about that.
    Also, he is often asked to drive out of town to a jobsite that is 10-14 hours away and is sent alone. What are the laws there.
    Often times his employer will send them to a jobsite with full knowledge that scaffolding and other equipment may be broken, etc. What are the law there?

Thanks

Originally posted by BECCASUE View Post
    My husband works @ a job where often times he is on a construction job site alone for 8-12 hours a day? Are there any safety rules about that.
    Also, he is often asked to drive out of town to a jobsite that is 10-14 hours away and is sent alone. What are the laws there.
    Often times his employer will send them to a jobsite with full knowledge that scaffolding and other equipment may be broken, etc. What are the law there?

Thanks
    Have you checked OSHA's website? They may have some info on the safety issues.

As for driving somewhere, I drive up to 14 hours to different offices all the time. I hate to fly!

Comment

There are no laws prohibiting an employer from having an employee work, or travel, alone.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Broken Equipment

Any Laws Regarding Working With Broken Equipment?

Comment

Not unless something about it would trigger OSHA protections.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by BECCASUE View Post
            Any Laws Regarding Working With Broken Equipment?
            The laws are not really that specific. They are supposed to provide a safe working environment, but if a person works with broken equipment on a daily basis because it is part of his job (such as a technician), I can't see where they would apply.

Since the laws are interpretive in this area, you would be better getting information from OSHA.

U.S. Department of Labor
            Occupational Safety & Health Administration
            http://www.osha.gov/

Comment

Maybe. It wouldn't be so much a law as a violation of OSHA regulations. It depends on the piece of equipment, what was wrong with it, the potential for injury as a result, whether the company had notice of the problem and a host of other factors.

Did he report the broken scaffolding? Was it his job to make sure that it was safe and repair it? If he was the only one ther and he works in construction, it would seem reasonable that he either fix it or at least report it.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
              X