This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about employee rights

Im just curious, ever since i started working, the guy next door from where i work has harassed me with stupid jokes, jokes pertaining to my ethnicity, has run me out of my office when he comes to have lunch with his girlfriend bcuz my offc is right in front of the kitchen, has pointed a paint ball gun at me, has shot my car with paint balls, i was given a warning that he is 'out to get me' since he got into trouble over this incident with is employer, cut me off so severely on the freeway that i had to swerve to avoid him and slam on my brakes.

My boss, even after being informed of all this still allows this person to come into the building where i work, tells me that i overreacted, that im being unreasonable, that i crossed the line when i filed an incident report w/the police dept about the paintball incident, that its no big deal, and that i need to get over it and change my attitude.

Granted i work in the back of the office and do not see this person enter the building all the time, but sometimes i do have to work in the front office and seeing him just puts me into an emotional turmoil.

Am i wrong to think that my employer after being informed of all this, should keep this person out of the building regardless of whose boyfriend he is???
    Last edited by lc414; 08-24-2004, 04:54 PM.

Harassment

You absolutely have the right to a workplace free of harassment. However, your protection under employment law is limited to the size of your employer. Federal law requires that your employer have 15 or more employees. However, several states supplement the federal law with lower threshholds.

Where are you located and does your employer have 15 or more employees?
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Harassment

We have 8 full time employees and 1 part time.

Comment

State?

What state are you in?
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Additional Information

I just read your earlier post - that you are in California. California brings the number down to 5 or more. Therefore, you do have recourse through the state. You may contact the California Department of Fair Housing and Housing. The complaint process may be seen at:
          http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/complaint.asp

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
          Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
          www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

one more thing

My employer is trying to force me to go and have a meeting with my harasser who is not even an employee of his. We do do business with his company but he is not an actual employee.

My employer has also very firmly told me that he does not feel the need to ban this person from entering the building when Im here.

So this meeting that he's trying to force me in to shouldn't happen since he's already made up his mind, correct???

Is he just trying to make life for me miserable at work so that I will just quit??

Comment

Forced Meeting

While your employer may mean well, it is not appropriate. Let him know that you are uncomfortable with the idea of meeting with this other business person. You should call the state and discuss it with them. Good luck and let me know if I can assist you further.
              Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
              www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
              X