Setting boundaries in helping illiterate employees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting boundaries in helping illiterate employees

I work for a large ag company and would like to know where a bilingual (Spanish) accounting clerk, acting as an HR rep, can be expected to draw the line in helping employees who neither read nor speak English very well, but yet have been with the company for 20+ years. An example of an incident (one of many) is an employee who came to me with a document titled, Claim Form. I had no idea what the form was for but it was mailed to him by the corporate benefits dept in English. The employee asked me to fill it out for him and I refused stating that he needed to call the benefits department as I had no idea what the form was in regards to. The benefits department then messaged me not more than five minutes after I turned the employee away, and I have now been forced to "assist" the employee in filling out the claim form. I resent being forced to do it. I am not comfortable in filling out the form as I am not familiar with it whatsoever, and I will be responsible for the information that goes on that form. It is not the first time I've been put in a situation like this by an employee who is not fluent in English or can't write period. I would like some input on how to handle these types of situations. Thanks.

You generally have to do whatever your employer tells you to do. I assume the form will be signed by the employee so the information will be over his/her signature.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      You generally have to do whatever your employer tells you to do. I assume the form will be signed by the employee so the information will be over his/her signature.
      I only report to the GM of the subsidiary office in which I work, so the order to "assist" the employee did not even come from any of what would be considered my superiors within the corporate office. However your response has prompted me to inquire from management whether or not the higher-ups expect me to do such things for employees. Thank you for your input.

Comment

I work in an industry that has many foreign workers, many of them very good, solid workers worth keeping. If this is a company document that your are not familiar it will well be worth familiarizing yourself with it to assist those workers as needed.

Welcome to Human Resources.

Comment

You can talk to management but sometimes they don't like it when people complain/make waves. They generally prefer you do whatever you are asked to do (no matter who asks you). Sometimes they get tired of hearing - that's not my job.

Take the initiative & become familiar with the form.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If this is a standard form and you have many employees who do not speak English or for whom it is not their first language, consider asking if the forms can be translated into Spanish. If this is a form from an insurance company or something like that, the form might already be available in Spanish.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X