X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tdavid6
    started a topic Staffing agency employee Kentucky

Staffing agency employee Kentucky

We just brought two new temporary employees in this week (both are through a temporary agency in a temp-to-hire position if everything works out). Today is the third day of training and during the middle of class one of their cell phones began to ring and she left the training room to answer it. She came back in, very excited and announced to everyone that her lawyer just told her that she had won a settlement that she was waiting on for a discrimination charge against a former employer. She is in a protected class, but 43% of the employees in her department are also in that same protected class. What worries me most is her attitude about the entire incident. Not only did she share it with the other temporary employee in the class and the trainer, but she acted like she hit the lottery and was planning what kind of car she was going to buy with her winnings. Her response is unsettling, to say the least. I understand we cannot discriminate against temporary employees (and we would not want to), and must provide them with reasonable working conditions. It is possible she was discriminated against, but her excitement at winning her case and the decision to share it with her potential future employer and her peer in training, makes me question her motives. We are a very small business and cannot afford expensive litigation for frivolous suits and we certainly can't afford to settle these to make them go away.

Can we end the temporary arrangement, or can we be held liable if we end the assignment with the information that we now have (even though she giddily disclosed the lawsuit information)?
    Last edited by tdavid6; 04-05-2013, 11:55 AM.

• tdavid6
    replied
    Thanks. I hadn't considered it from that standpoint. The training manager made the mistake of telling them that they could have their phones out if they are waiting on "emergency" calls, but I think that opens the door for everything to be an emergency. He said she was texting several times during the class, but told him that her brother was in the hospital (which of course was disclosed after he made the comment about emergencies). We'll just have them abide by the company policy to put their cell phones out of sight. Also, I would like to thank you guys for your quick response. I've been reading this website for about 2 years, but it's my first time posting. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    I too have more of an issue wit the unprofessional behavior than the lawsuit. You don't know the details. I would met with her and warn her that leaving training for personal phone calls is unacceptable, especially when she is just starting and that any further instances of unprofessional behavior could lead to ending the temporary arrangement.

Leave a comment:

• Marketeer
    replied
    I think you would be on shaky ground if you terminated based on what she voluntarily disclosed, and I would suggest that you consult your attorney before you take any action. It could be that she might turn into a very good employee.

At my company, however, taking a personal call during training and then disrupting training afterward would not be looked on kindly. At best, the behavior is unprofessional.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X