Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time federal contractor California

Hi!

An independent school here which will receive a federal grant of over $100k this mid-year. What are the HR compliance rules and requirements to receive such grant recipients as new, first time federal contractors?

Also, where would be a good spot to know all the necessary HR programs and policies to establish in order to ensure funding? I believe it's required to have an Affirmative Action plan and drug free workplace program; what else?

Finding all required compliance topics and how to prepare has been very confusing and frustrating. (Sigh)

Thanks!

Federal contracting requirements

The first thing you need to do is ensure you have all the data you need (employee race, gender, disability and veteran status) in case you get an audit. Make sure you have EEO data, are collecting it from applicants (on a different sheet of paper), have EOE/AAP on all of your job announcements and start drafting and Affirmative Action Manual. Make sure that manual is displayed and available to anyone that might want to inspect it. I have a draft manual if you want to look at one, but I generally just copy and customize one from a university for my orgs. Likely you need a veteran's plan and to do the VETS100 report in addition to the EEO1 report.

Update your employee manual and ensure you have all new laws and leaves in there - particularly USERRA and FMLA to cover veterans and care givers.

Also, make sure employees are classified correctly (FLSA) and run some self tests on the fairness of your compensation by gender and race. The OFCCP http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/ has some guidelines available. Also, make sure people that are supposed to be paid on the contract are working on the contract. The biggest mistake I find is that orgs will have someone paid on a contract but doing work for another project. You will be put on probation, not get renewed, etc. if that happens - so train your managers. Good luck!

Jennifer Keys, SPHR
    hroracle.net

i
    Originally posted by lltuser View Post
    Hi!

An independent school here which will receive a federal grant of over $100k this mid-year. What are the HR compliance rules and requirements to receive such grant recipients as new, first time federal contractors?

Also, where would be a good spot to know all the necessary HR programs and policies to establish in order to ensure funding? I believe it's required to have an Affirmative Action plan and drug free workplace program; what else?

Finding all required compliance topics and how to prepare has been very confusing and frustrating. (Sigh)

Thanks!
    Jennifer Keys, SPHR

Comment

Working...
    X