X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arkansasscribe
    started a topic FMLA - is this a qualifying illness Arkansas

FMLA - is this a qualifying illness Arkansas

We have an employee with mono -- no doubt it's a contagious disease -- does it qualify as a serious medical condition for FMLA purposes? This employee has already used every bit of the 80 hours of sick leave we provide each Jan. 1 for other medical issues for herself and her children. She has no vacation left either, so she really needs the protection of FMLA. (we do have over 50 employees and she actually did work full time last year -- she is eligible)

I'm just curious if others have see mono qualify as a serious medical condition for FMLA.

Thanks for any responses.

• Betty3
    replied
    Me too - everyone is different.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    I've known people with mono who missed months of work or school because of it. YMMV

Leave a comment:

• arkansasscribe
    replied
    Yes, thanks, just did an Internet search myself about the disease. I guess my initial confusion was in not knowing anyone since high school who had contracted this illness. However, after reading up on it, I concur that it does qualify. The doctor says she may need up to eight weeks to get well. So, FMLA it is. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• eerelations
    replied
    People suffering from mono don't usually need time off work unless the nature of that work is hard physical labour. And while mono is contagious, it is not airborne. People catch mono from each other only through the exchange of bodily fluids. So as long as your employee's job doesn't require her to kiss other employees, they need not be concerned about catching mono from her.

(And I know whatof I speak - I have Epstein-Barr syndrome, which is recurring mono. I've had it for over 40 years and during that time I've missed maybe three-four days from work because of it. And no one's ever caught it from me. )

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Looking at the definition of a serious health condition for FMLA purposes:

Serious Health Condition

"Serious health condition" means an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves:

any period of incapacity or treatment connected with inpatient care (i.e., an overnight stay) in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility; or
    a period of incapacity requiring absence of more than three calendar days from work, school, or other regular daily activities that also involves continuing treatment by (or under the supervision of) a health care provider; or
    any period of incapacity due to pregnancy, or for prenatal care; or
    any period of incapacity (or treatment therefore) due to a chronic serious health condition (e.g., asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.); or
    a period of incapacity that is permanent or long-term due to a condition for which treatment may not be effective (e.g., Alzheimer's, stroke, terminal diseases, etc.); or,
    any absences to receive multiple treatments (including any period of recovery therefrom) by, or on referral by, a health care provider for a condition that likely would result in incapacity of more than three consecutive days if left untreated (e.g., chemotherapy, physical therapy, dialysis, etc.).

I can't imagine how it could possibly not be qualifying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X