E-Verify - A Must Use? Illinois Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Verify - A Must Use? Illinois Illinois

I've been on the fence about things I've heard regarding E-Verify with the new immigration information that has been on the news. Is it now mandatory for all companies to use E-Verify for all new employees? If so, are companies required to use it going forward, or must they E-Verify all of their active employees as well? I can't imagine that this would be a retroactive type of requirement, but I've heard of stranger things. I'd like to make certain we are compliant.

I believe there was a house bill in Illinois that was passed barring the requirement of employers from e-verify until some issues were resolved. So unless that has been changed then it would only be a voluntary enrollment at this point.

Right now the only states I know of that require private employers to register in e-verify are Arizona, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina (for business with over 100 employees), and Utah (business over 15 employees).
    Last edited by CMorgan; 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

agreed it is on a state level basis for now. However, federal contractors might be required to use it to get any contracts. For some reason, that is ringing a bell with me, but I haven't researched it as we are not federal contractors.

Comment

Georgia requires its use for all municipalities and anyone doing substantive work for a municipality. That was phased in over the last 3 or 4 years (not sure on the time).
        I've been using E-verify since 2005.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Per my most recent info Il. - Municipalities in Illinois remain barred from requiring use of E-Verify.

Private employers "can" use it but private employers must follow certain procedures to do so. The additional procedures are arguably designed to discourage use.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

My previous company used E-Verify and hired many seasonal workers, most originally from other countries.
            We found more errors in the E-Verify system than the system found documents not matching identities.
            Unless you are required or in an area where non-authorized workers are common, I'd avoid.

Comment

Thank you, I was concerned we might not be following the necessary requirements.

Comment

You're welcome.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X