X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claude56
    started a topic Employee Voluntary Demotion Ohio

Employee Voluntary Demotion Ohio

I have an employee who was recently promoted to a trainer position within the warehouse of the company. A few weeks into her promotion, the employee began a training program located at a different location within the company. A few days ago the employee was found out to have (and admitted to) clocking in a different employee via an internal system from the training facility.

Her manager, myself and the employee all sat down to discuss this. During the meeting she admitted to clocking in another employee and apologized. Her manager told her that at this point her promotion would be taken away at least and that further discipline may be taken pending a full investigation of the situation.

After speaking with her manager, neither of us want to lose the employee completely (especially since she owned up and apologized for the policy violation). However, as a demotion would be handled by the corporate headquarters (in GA), we we were wondering if we could ask her to voluntarily resign from the trainer position and go back to her previous position. The alternative would likely be termination.

I appreciate any feedback and/or help!

• Claude56
    replied
    Thank you both, again, for the feedback. I appreciate the insight and have decided to talk with the manager about going forward with the demotion. As the company is growing larger, I do not want to set a bad precedent and/or keep our home office out of the loop. It was never my intention to go over them, all of the documentation will be forwarded no matter how the employee is demoted.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Leave a comment:

• hr for me
    replied
    If you go around HR corporate and they find out, it could easily mean your job also. I strongly suggest you talk with them and see what they say. Maybe you can convince them that it was a 1 time honest mistake. But can you prove she hadn't done it before or just that you hadn't caught her? Honestly I would terminate any employee that I found doing what she did, no second chance. It's not like she didn't understand what she was doing was wrong and stealing/theft of wages for the other person. She abused her position to do so. So I have no sympathy for your "good" employee!

At this point, consistency is up to HR, not to you. And it doesn't sound like you even have the authority to demote her or to agree to any type of voluntary demotion. If you were to do so and not tell HR, you would be putting your own rear end on the line for an employee who is a known thief. Do you really want to do so?

Leave a comment:

• Claude56
    replied
    I appreciate your feedback. The problem with demoting her is that it won't go over very well with our corporate hq. They will likely want to terminate the employee altogether. While her manager and I do believe this to be a serious offense (and believe me, she knows as well). She has been counseled on the situation and has been issued a final warning for the incident.

We had the same type of incident occur before and the employee(s) were not terminated, but placed on final warnings at that time, so we're trying to keep things consistent. Unfortunately, the initial incident was before the company merged with the corporate office.

I guess the best solution is to explain to the home office the situation like I just did to you and try to help them understand.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    I am missing something here. What do you think having the employee "voluntarily" resigning accomplishes? You have a right to demote the employee or fire the employee, but there is nothing "voluntary" abut the employee's requested action. It will look to an outsider that you are playing some sort of game. You do not need the employee's consent to take these actions and asking the employee to voluntarily resign sounds like you are trying to play games with UI or something else.

Why not just write up the employee, demote them (for cause), and give them a PIP (preformance improvement plan), hopefully just the same thing you would do with any other employee who has a performance problem.

Keeping the employee or not is your call, but if you do, something like a PIP is strongly recommended. Especially if it is commonly used with all of your employers who have performance issues. I would be careful about trying to create an employee specific exception here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X