Vacation Pay for Hourly Worker Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Pay for Hourly Worker Florida

Hi everyone, hoping you can help. I have an hourly paid employee who worked three days and took two days vacation. I paid him his worked hours and our standard 8-hour days vacation time. I have now been told he typically works a 13-hour shift, should I have therefore paid him 13-hours vacation pay?

That is entirely up to you. The law does not address this either way.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Great!

Perfect! Thanks for your help

Comment

This works in the US, but it wouldn't in Canada and definitely won't work in the UK. OP you need to post your question on a UK site. Here's one: www.swarb.co.uk. I'll bet my paycheque that you're going to be required to pay this worker 13 hours' pay.

Just curious though - you've been here since October 2012 and you still haven't clued in that this is a US site?

Comment

Originally posted by eerelations View Post
          Just curious though - you've been here since October 2012 and you still haven't clued in that this is a US site?
          I know it is a US site and I am looking for confirmations of my understanding of US labor laws. I look after HR for our US office but at the moment I am based in our UK office until my visa is approved, then moving here to be with my American hubby.

Comment

She and I have already addressed that question - she's good.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

eerelations, If the *employee* works in Fl. would not US law apply (or not)?
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

US laws apply to employees working in the US. However, the OP is located in the UK, which mislead me to believe that the employee was also located in the UK. That would have meant UK law was applicable.

Comment

Ok, thank you. I just wanted to be sure I had it right in my mind. I know that you are good at Canadian law.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                  X