New Hire questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hire questions

As an employer, am I able to hire someone on a three day trail basis, if it doesn't work out for us, employee leaves and I will not be subjected to UI. Also, saw on public records 6 "cases" listed. Since I am not a court person, I do not understand the abbreviations. Am I allowed to ask the status of the WHY to these cases.

Whether you would or would not be responsible for UI if you let someone go after three days is state specific and you did not name your state.

What kind of "cases" are you asking about?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

AZ is state- "Cases"

Public Records states 6 cases against a person, disorderly conduct, license issues etc. My gut instincts did not sit well after the interview, so we have moved on from this person. But thank you for your response!

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      Whether you would or would not be responsible for UI if you let someone go after three days is state specific and you did not name your state.

What kind of "cases" are you asking about?

Comment

My state also has an online database for civil and criminal cases. There is some risk in using it as a screening tool, mainly that you may be indvertently screening out minority candidates unfairly as minorities tend to be arrested more frequently. There is also something to be said for someone learning from their mistakes and moving on. If these are really old cases, there isn't much point in bringing them up unless they are directly related to the job. Obviously you don't want to hire a driver with several recent DUIs.

You should also be careful to be sure that you have the right person. There are a lot of folks with the same name.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X