Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-hour Work Limits for Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-hour Work Limits for Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island?

Hi!

I understand that there are no daily overtime requirements that applies to MA, NH, or RI.

But for these same states, what laws may apply such that an employer can legally restrict an employee or type of employee from working more than 8 hours in a day?

Thanks!

The employer always sets the work hours. It is legal in every state to limit the workday to no more than 8 hours. If they work more anyway you have to pay them but you can legally limit what you will permit.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

what laws may apply such that an employer can legally restrict an employee or type of employee from working more than 8 hours in a day?

None. But the point is that there aren't any laws that address this. In absence of a law prohibiting something, a right may be presumed.

The employer is always in charge of the work schedule and hour many hours their employees work. Employees are not entitled to set their own work schedule or work overtime unless authorized to do so by the employer.

Comment

Agree with the other responders - you can restrict their hrs. to
        8 hrs. a day is you so desire.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You don't have to prove to your employees that the law allows you to limit them to 8 hours a day.

They have to prove to you that it doesn't.

For employment law purposes, an action is legal unless a specific law makes it illegal. Therefore, it is legal for you to limit them to 8 hours a day because there is no law that says it is not legal.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X