Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 weeks notice accepted immediately-benefit issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks notice accepted immediately-benefit issues?

Long term employee gave two weeks notice in response to disciplinary action. We plan to accept resignation effective immediately, however this terminate his benefits at the end of November. If he works through the two weeks resignation period, it would take him into December, and our policy states that benefits terminate at the end of the month containing last day worked.
    Would we run into any issues by setting his resignation date earlier than offered by employee, given impact on benefits?
    Thanks.

Nope.

Cut him loose and tell him that his benefits term on December 1.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Would we still need to pay him for that time?

Comment

Not at all. Pay him for the time he has worked but no more.

You do not have to pay an employee for not working.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Many employers accept the resignation of an employee immediately - no problem in doing so. (unless possibly there was a bona fide employment contract indicating different - not usually the case though)
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X