This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "football pools" Kansas

Is an office "football pool" legal in the state of Kansas? Is it considered gambling and against a law?

Short answer is yes, it is gambling. Long answer is that it is likely to fly under the radar. If you want to prohibit football pools during work hours, you may.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Unless you want to have a big pile of very unhappy employees don't try to interfere. as in forbidding it.

This time of year it is almost as much of a "sacred practice" to participate in football pools as it is for Christians to celebrate Christmas.

If you restrict the football pool expect some very very unhappy campers.

It would be legal to do so yes. However for many it would be murder to moral.
      Information posted by me is my "OPINION". I do NOT give legal advice to anyone as like most here I am NOT an attorney.

Comment

Don't pick the St. Louis Rams - they haven't won a game so far this year.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysAmicable View Post
          Is an office "football pool" legal in the state of Kansas? Is it considered gambling and against a law?
          Everywhere I've worked, there have been football pools among various groups of employees. Although technically against those companys' work rules (no gambling), I've always turned a blind eye. I've kept an ear to the ground though, just to make sure they don't get out of hand, i.e. employees betting or losing significant sums of money. If you have employees who can't get by because they've lost their paychecks gambling, that can lead to a host of other problems in the workplace.

Comment

We forbid them here. If employees want to do these on their own time and include coworkers in a friendly capacity, that is fine but we do not allow work sponsored pools or departmental pools while at work. We also ban them among the students. I personally will never understand why betting on sports is so popular or considered appropriate for work. Then again, I'm not a gambler, nor a sports fan so it doesn't bother me in the least.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

We have an office-wide "football pool" here, however money isn't involved. Instead the person who earns the most points each week gets to have our gold bobble-head that reads "Bragging Rights" on the pedestal at their desk. The overal season winner gets their name on a trophy. It's just for fun...employees don't have to participate if they don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by HR-Phx View Post
                We have an office-wide "football pool" here, however money isn't involved. Instead the person who earns the most points each week gets to have our gold bobble-head that reads "Bragging Rights" on the pedestal at their desk. The overal season winner gets their name on a trophy. It's just for fun...employees don't have to participate if they don't want to.

Cute idea, HRPhx. Although I do have to admit to kicking into these whenever they were held. When I lived in Dallas, we had a $25/square pool for the Super Bowl in 1994 (I think it was). $250 per quarter. There were two squares left when it got to me and I took one. I forgot to take the sheet home though, so I didn't know what numbers I had. Imagine my surprise when Monday morning I was called and told the purse-holder was bringing up my money. I won both the first AND the second quarter.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Congratulations, Patty! That would be quite the surprise...what a nice bonus!

Comment

Personally, I would not address the issue, unless their are several complaints from other employees. You will find that most people who don't participate could care less. That is more money in their pockets. My boss purchases lottery tickets and has made it public that if he wins, each employee gets an equal share of the winnings. He even gives us the numbers he has played. Haven't had a complaint yet, even from the people who are againts playing the lottery. No money out of their pockets.

Comment

Working...
                    X