Help with a unique problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a unique problem

I have someone that directly works for me that was married to someone in the plant. They are going through a divorce. Her adult daughter had a child with someone. They were never married. There was no custody agreement. The father lives in another state. He came to visit the child. Took him for ice cream and basically abducted the child and took him back to the state he lives in.
    There is an ongoing battle to get the child back. The father filed something and it was determined that jurisdiction would be in the father's state. Here is my problem:
    Obviously, my employee is distraught. What has added to this is the soon to be ex husband has teamed up with the father and is offering testimony on his behalf. The ex is making up lies about how my employee (the grandmother) is unfit to be around the child, made up a story about her giving the 2 year old alcohol, and other terrible things. My employee has emails from the soon to be ex husband when they split up that he was going to :get: her and I guess this is how he is going to do it..
    Neither my employee or her daughter have much money. They live together now. The ex husband is determined to "starve" her out. He is delaying the divorce, refusing to give her things back and now getting to her through her daughter's custody issues.
    My employee has a lawyer but I am guessing not a very good one the way things have been happening.
    Is there any advice I can give my employee to help her out? I know you never know the true story, but she is an exemplary employee, never complains, and is a good hearted person who in my opinion does not deserve this.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I would not get involved in the personal lives of my employees to this extent. At most, I would suggest another lawyer. Once you get involved, you are brining the drama into the workplace where you really don't want it.

Comment

Good answer.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

You have no dog in this fight stay out of it. Anything you do could harm your friendship and job.

(parenting and relationship advice not a legal forum) http://www.parentnook.com/forum/
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agree. This does not belong in the workplace.

Comment

The one exception is if someone issues a threat of death or bodily injury against anyone (including themselves). If so call the police.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
            X