Employee harassing another employee and a former employee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee harassing another employee and a former employee

I have an employee in the office who is filling for a divorce. Her husband works out on the manufacturing floor. He emails her and texts her constantly some pretty mean and nasty messages. I am also pretty sure he is posting anonymously about me and my family on topix.

On top of that, a former employee of mine who also used to be married to him just emailed me for advice as she just received a threatening phone call from him at her new place of employment.

He is careful about not coming up here and talking to her face to face.

Honestly, I would like to just let him go, even though he is a long term employee, he has had more than his share of problems.

Just did not know how to best handle this situation....

So why don't you let him go?

Comment

Most of this is not at work or during work time.....

Comment

Why do you think that matters?

Comment

So, I should just fire him for harassing her via her personal email at home?

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. If you're thinking that he'd have any kind of wrongful term claim because he's not sending it to her work email, forget it. He wouldn't have any kind of claim at all. Making a threatening call to a former employee at her place of employment is more than a valid reason to fire him.

Comment

I agree with the others. Term him. His actions show him to be potentially dangerous. I would be concerned that he will begin causing problems at work.

Comment

There is absolutely no law that employees that holds employee's off clock activity sacrosanct. This guy is threatening the safety of other employees. Terminate him immediately and ban him from the premises and from using the employee's work phone number(s). If you provide her cell phone, even better. Ban him from contacting that number as well. If anything, knowing this and doing nothing about it exposes you to more liability if he does eventually turn violent at work.

Comment

Is it acceptable to provide previous warnings he received for harassing females at an off siter training to the court so that my employee can get a protection order? This warning was several years ago and previous to my employee working here.

Comment

Provide to who?

Comment

Sorry. Not sure what happened to my response. I guess I meant to her for evidence toward her request for a restraining order.

Comment

And I didn't see you had responded, sorry. No, definitely do not give them to her. You've got no business giving anything from another employee's file no matter what the circumstances unless there is a subpoena in play. If she, or her lawyer, subpoenas those records then fine, go right ahead. But you don't want him suing you, or her, for privacy violations.

Comment

Working...
                        X