Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U$ Military Medals meaningless junk ...!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U$ Military Medals meaningless junk ...!

"=> Vox Populi ©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    "Replacement_Tommel" [email protected] wrote in message news:[email protected]
    © 2003 David H. Hackworth Jessica Lynch recently was awarded a Bronze Star Medal, a Purple Heart and the POW Medal. The BSM citation reads: "For exemplary courage under fire during combat operations to liberate Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Private First Class Lynch's bravery and heart persevered while surviving in the ambush and captivity in An Nasiriya." A BSM for "bravery" and "surviving in the ambush and captivity"! The Army's official After-Action Report said she was in a vehicle that crashed while hauling butt trying to escape an enemy ambush. She was knocked unconscious and woke up at a nearby Iraqi hospital receiving special attention from some super-caring Iraqi doctors and nurses. This was probably the first incident in U.S. military history in which an American soldier was awarded our country's fourth-highest ground-fighting award for being conked out and off the air throughout a fight. BSMs citing bravery typically read: "Moving his machine gun to a forward vantage point, he covered the advance of the infantry with a heavy volume of effective fire. Repeatedly exposing himself to a devastating small-arms automatic weapons and mortar barrage ..." Or: "He voluntarily acted as point man and ... when the platoon was fired upon ... charged the enemy position ... Through his courage, determination and devotion to duty, he saved his patrol from suffering casualties and captured a prisoner who later provided important information."
    The above would warrant more than a Bronze Star. The Bronze Star is
    probably the most common medal.

Jeremy Olson

"Jeremy Olson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    "=> Vox Populi ©" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    "Replacement_Tommel" [email protected] wrote in message news:[email protected]>> © 2003 David H. Hackworth>>> Jessica Lynch recently was awarded a Bronze Star Medal, a Purple> Heart and the POW Medal. The BSM citation reads: "For exemplary> courage under fire during combat operations to liberate Iraq, in> support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Private First Class Lynch's> bravery and heart persevered while surviving in the ambush and> captivity in An Nasiriya.">> A BSM for "bravery" and "surviving in the ambush and captivity"!>> The Army's official After-Action Report said she was in a vehicle> that crashed while hauling butt trying to escape an enemy ambush.> She was knocked unconscious and woke up at a nearby Iraqi hospital> receiving special attention from some super-caring Iraqi doctors and> nurses.>> This was probably the first incident in U.S. military history in> which an American soldier was awarded our country's fourth-highest> ground-fighting award for being conked out and off the air> throughout a fight.>
    No kidding! I remember a Lt Col getting one during Operation Allied Force
    for being the Operation Support Squadron Commander that never even deployed.
    He did everything from his home base. Whatever.

Jessica should get a purple heart, pow medal, and sent to a combat driving
    course on how to flee like a coward without crashing.

Seems like all of our recent POWs have been the ARMY being STUPID.

Comment

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:28:32 GMT, several witnesses claim to have seen
      "John Smith" <[email protected]> scrawl a message on the wall:
      Jessica should get a purple heart, pow medal, and sent to a combat drivingcourse on how to flee like a coward without crashing.
      She wasn't driving. Based on my time as a PFC, I'm willing to bet she
      was sound asleep.

--

Douglas E. Berry [email protected]
      http://gridlore.home.mindspring.com/index.html

"Where is the prince who can afford so to cover
      his country with troops for its defense, as that
      ten thousand men descending from the clouds, might
      not,in many places, do an infinite deal of mischief
      before a force could be brought together to repel
      them?" - BENJAMIN FRANKLIN-1784

Comment

ίΕΠΕ§§ wrote:
        "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] s.com...
        On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:47:26 -0700, "Jeremy Olson" <[email protected]> wrote:
        The above would warrant more than a Bronze Star. The Bronze Star is probably the most common medal.
        The BSM (without the "V" device) is the equivalent of the Meritorious Service Medal but is given for service in a combat zone.
        After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee.
        Not at Starbucks it won't ...

--

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
        earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,
        since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to
        civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command,
        senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently
        I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be
        torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction
        that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
        -- Albert Einstein

Comment

jaybeatty wrote:
          "Colin Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] [email protected] (Douglas Berry) wrote:
          On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:28:32 GMT, several witnesses claim to have seen "John Smith" <[email protected]> scrawl a message on the wall: Jessica should get a purple heart, pow medal, and sent to a combat driving course on how to flee like a coward without crashing. She wasn't driving. Based on my time as a PFC, I'm willing to bet she was sound asleep. Based on the report released on how she was captured, I highly doubt that because it was a Sunday morning and there was gunfire and RPG rockets in the area. From what I understand, her best freind, the only female solider to die (I know the name but don't know how to properly spell it) was the one driving and she hit a turned over truck. Then again, I'd like to see how "John Smith" would be able to handle a vehicle in a similar situation.
          John Smith it seems really knows nothing of combat, based on what he said about his time as a PFC I'm guessing that he was a dirt bag that had a hard time doing the right thing.
          Gee, and we though ALL U$ Soldiers were honorable "heroes" ....

What next Jay, no Santa Claus ...?

--
          "We should not march into Baghdad. To occupy Iraq would
          instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab
          world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-
          day Arab hero. Assigning young soldiers to a fruitless
          hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
          them to fight in what would be an unwinable urban guerilla
          war, it could only plunge that part of the world into ever
          greater instability."
          -George H. W. Bush Sr. 1998

--

"Naturally, the common people don't want war;
          neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
          nor for that matter in Germany.
          That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
          of the country who determine the policy and
          it is always a simple matter to drag the people
          along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
          dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
          dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
          always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
          That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
          they are being attacked and denounce the
          pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
          the country to danger. It works the same way
          in any country."

- Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

Comment

jaybeatty wrote:
            "Colin Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] [email protected] (Douglas Berry) wrote:
            On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:28:32 GMT, several witnesses claim to have seen "John Smith" <[email protected]> scrawl a message on the wall:> Jessica should get a purple heart, pow> medal, and sent to a combat driving> course on how to flee like a coward> without crashing. She wasn't driving. Based on my time as a PFC, I'm willing to bet she was sound asleep. Based on the report released on how she was captured, I highly doubt that because it was a Sunday morning and there was gunfire and RPG rockets in the area. From what I understand, her best freind, the only female solider to die (I know the name but don't know how to properly spell it) was the one driving and she hit a turned over truck. Then again, I'd like to see how "John Smith" would be able to handle a vehicle in a similar situation.
            John Smith it seems really knows nothing of combat, based on what he said about his time as a PFC I'm guessing that he was a dirt bag that had a hard time doing the right thing.
            Gee, and we though ALL U$ Soldiers were honorable "heroes" .... What next Jay, no Santa Claus ...?
            Sorry Vox, no tooth fairy either.

Comment

David Casey wrote:
              On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:34:49 -0700, ίΕΠΕ§§ wrote:
              The BSM (without the "V" device) is the equivalent of the Meritorious Service Medal but is given for service in a combat zone. After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee.
              I wasn't aware folks who earned medals were doing it for cheap coffee somewhere?
              Well then, that's the point ain't it? Some people don't actually "earn" the
              medals.
              None of the ones I've received caused me to exclaim loudly in front of the formation, "Outstanding! I get cheap coffee now when I become a civilian!"
              Did you "earn" all the ones you received? ... to the same highest standard as
              those
              others who received the same?

Does getting lost, crashing your vehicle, being taken prisoner without firing a
              shot,
              spending time in a 1st class medical hospital, and getting "rescued" from that
              unarmed,
              unguarded hospital deserve a "bronze star" ?

Or does that denigrate and lessen the value, perceived or real, of those other
              soldiers
              throughout many wars who actually did "earn" the BS?

Comment

"=> Vox Populi ©" wrote:
                Does getting lost, crashing your vehicle, being taken prisoner without firing a shot, spending time in a 1st class medical hospital, and getting "rescued" from that unarmed, unguarded hospital deserve a "bronze star" ? Or does that denigrate and lessen the value, perceived or real, of those other soldiers throughout many wars who actually did "earn" the BS?
                How about the MOH?

7 December 1941 - *KIDD, ISAAC CAMPBELL, Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy

Citation: For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete
                disregard of his own life, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by
                Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. Rear Adm. Kidd immediately went to the
                bridge and, as Commander Battleship Division One, courageously discharged his
                duties as Senior Officer Present Afloat until the U.S.S. Arizona, his Flagship,
                blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which
                resulted in the loss of his life.

7 December 1941 - *VAN VALKENBURGH, FRANKLIN, Captain, U.S. Navy

Citation: For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete
                disregard of his own life, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor T.H.,
                by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. As commanding officer of the U.S.S.
                Arizona, Capt. Van Valkenburgh gallantly fought his ship until the U.S.S.
                Arizona blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which
                resulted in the loss of his life.

Now these men gave their lives in the service of their country, but it is certainly
                difficult to understand what was particularly personally "heroic" about their
                actions. Iprefer to think of it as a award that encapsulated all the hero's whose
                courage is not recorded. Perhaps this award falls in the same category.

Vince

Comment

David Casey wrote:
                  On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:34:49 -0700, ίΕΠΕ§§ wrote:
                  > The BSM (without the "V" device) is the equivalent of the> Meritorious Service Medal but is given for service in a combat zone. After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee.
                  I wasn't aware folks who earned medals were doing it for cheap coffee somewhere?
                  Well then, that's the point ain't it? Some people don't actually "earn"
                  the
                  medals.
                  As much as I hate to do it I have to agree with Vox on that point, every
                  military member has seen it. It goes along with giving certain awards based
                  on ones rank.
                  None of the ones I've received caused me to exclaim loudly in front of the formation, "Outstanding! I get cheap coffee now when I become a civilian!" Did you "earn" all the ones you received? ... to the same highest standard
                  as
                  those others who received the same? Does getting lost, crashing your vehicle, being taken prisoner without
                  firing a
                  shot, spending time in a 1st class medical hospital, and getting "rescued" from
                  that
                  unarmed, unguarded hospital deserve a "bronze star" ?
                  In her defense, I wouldn't place the blame for what happened on her, it
                  was the leadership of that unit that messed up, they are the ones that
                  decide what happen.
                  Or does that denigrate and lessen the value, perceived or real, of those
                  other
                  soldiers throughout many wars who actually did "earn" the BS?

Comment

Byker wrote:
                    "Douglas Berry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:39:14 GMT, several witnesses claim to have seen "Byker" <[email protected]~rag.net> scrawl a message on the wall:
                    "David Casey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]> "After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of> coffee." If you're a Baby Boomer, you might remember the time during Vietnam when disgrutled veterans threw their medals on the White House steps...
                    It was the Capitol steps. I have the picture somewhere in one of my histories of the war.
                    Thanx. It's one of those incidents from that era that seems to have been forgotten, like Nixon getting 50,000 telegrams in single night demanding the pardon of Lt. William Calley upon his court-martial conviction....

--
                    "We huddled 'em up. We made them squat down... I poured four clips
                    into the dinks...the mothers kept hugging their children...we kept on
                    firing..."

- Paul Meadlo
                    United States Army commenting on US War crimes at My Lai

Comment

jaybeatty wrote:
                      David Casey wrote:
                      On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:34:49 -0700, ίΕΠΕ§§ wrote:>> The BSM (without the "V" device) is the equivalent of the>> Meritorious Service Medal but is given for service in a combat>> zone.>> After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of> coffee. I wasn't aware folks who earned medals were doing it for cheap coffee somewhere?
                      Well then, that's the point ain't it? Some people don't actually "earn" the medals.
                      As much as I hate to do it I have to agree with Vox on that point, every military member has seen it. It goes along with giving certain awards based on ones rank.
                      Well who said Hell would never freeze over...

You'll have to turn in your key to the Vox Haters Treefort ...
                      but they might let you keep your super sekrit decoder ring.

None of the ones I've received caused me to exclaim loudly in front of the formation, "Outstanding! I get cheap coffee now when I become a civilian!" Did you "earn" all the ones you received? ... to the same highest standard as those others who received the same? Does getting lost, crashing your vehicle, being taken prisoner without firing a shot, spending time in a 1st class medical hospital, and getting "rescued" from that unarmed, unguarded hospital deserve a "bronze star" ? In her defense, I wouldn't place the blame for what happened on her, it was the leadership of that unit that messed up, they are the ones that decide what happen.
                      So instead of court-martialing those responsible, just hand out
                      medals to the victims of their dereliction like candy to crying children?
                      Or does that denigrate and lessen the value, perceived or real, of those other soldiers throughout many wars who actually did "earn" the BS?
                      Sad, though they all are diluted and lessened when they
                      give them away as Propaganda pieces to decidedly non-heroes
                      like Jessica Lynch.

Comment

news:t%[email protected]
                        jaybeatty wrote:
                        David Casey wrote:> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:34:49 -0700, ίΕΠΕ§§ wrote:>>>> The BSM (without the "V" device) is the equivalent of the>>> Meritorious Service Medal but is given for service in a combat>>> zone.>>>> After you get out, that and fifty cents will get you a cup of>> coffee.>> I wasn't aware folks who earned medals were doing it for cheap> coffee somewhere? Well then, that's the point ain't it? Some people don't actually "earn" the medals.
                        As much as I hate to do it I have to agree with Vox on that point, every military member has seen it. It goes along with giving certain awards based on ones rank.
                        Well who said Hell would never freeze over... You'll have to turn in your key to the Vox Haters Treefort ... but they might let you keep your super sekrit decoder ring.
                        Lol, never hated you, just argued with you.
                        I think though that people are placing blame on the wrong person. Did
                        Lynch deserve all the recognition? I don't think so. The people to blame
                        (and this is just in my view) are the NCO's that didn't enforce weapon
                        cleaning standards, the leaders that go lost in the first place, the leaders
                        that were responsible for the training that unit, and the wonderful army PR
                        machine that created this whole mess.
                        A bronze star with out the V device is really not that big of an award (at
                        least anymore). Hundreds were given to people that wore stripes and were
                        there the first time, just for being there and they way I interpreted the
                        regulation (as did several of the members of my unit) its really like
                        getting a war time ARCOM.
                        >> None of the ones I've received caused me to exclaim loudly in front> of the formation, "Outstanding! I get cheap coffee now when I> become> a civilian!" Did you "earn" all the ones you received? ... to the same highest standard as those others who received the same? Does getting lost, crashing your vehicle, being taken prisoner without firing a shot, spending time in a 1st class medical hospital, and getting "rescued" from that unarmed, unguarded hospital deserve a "bronze star" ? In her defense, I wouldn't place the blame for what happened on her, it was the leadership of that unit that messed up, they are the ones that decide what happen.
                        So instead of court-martialing those responsible, just hand out medals to the victims of their dereliction like candy to crying children?
                        Or does that denigrate and lessen the value, perceived or real, of those other soldiers throughout many wars who actually did "earn" the BS?
                        Sad, though they all are diluted and lessened when they give them away as Propaganda pieces to decidedly non-heroes like Jessica Lynch.

Comment

Working...
                        X