Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting new job after layoff notification Illinois

Hi all,

Did a search but couldn't quite find this topic.

Our location was given an 6 month notification that our plant is closing at the end of 2017. So to get the severance package, the employee must work until Dec 29, 2017.

Obviously many are going to start looking for jobs right away. The question is, if the new company is willing to wait for the employee to start in Jan 2018, when can the employee 'accept' the new position (or sign a contract)?

example: employee is notified of pending layoff from company A in 6 months and starts looking for a new position. The employee interviews with company B, but requests that the start date is not until Jan 2018. Company B is ok with a start date in Jan 2018. When can the employee legally accept the new position (and/or sign a contract)?

Thanks

You can accept the job and sign the contract whenever you want. As long as you continue to work at your current employer through 12/29 it shouldn't effect the severance.

Comment

however, be careful on the wording of the severance package to make sure the date is hard coded -- I have the seen the date be a move-able target rather than a specific date ("closing" vs 12/29 for example) such that you had to stay through the undefined close date to get the severance. Especially since 6 month notification would put that date somewhere in March.....unless I am reading you wrong and they told you back in July....

Comment

Thanks both of you for the answers so far.

@hr for me, they announced it in late June. I didn't clarify that part.

Originally posted by hr for me View Post
        however, be careful on the wording of the severance package to make sure the date is hard coded -- I have the seen the date be a move-able target rather than a specific date ("closing" vs 12/29 for example) such that you had to stay through the undefined close date to get the severance. Especially since 6 month notification would put that date somewhere in March.....unless I am reading you wrong and they told you back in July....

Comment

Working...
        X