Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre employment drug testing? California

Hi there,

I was recently offered a new position in California contingent on passing a background check by a consumer reporting agency. Do employers need to disclose that they will be conducting a pre employment drug screen during the application process? I am asking because I have been prescribed to medial marijuana and I do not want to give my resignation to my current employer if I will be surprised with a pre employemenf drug test from new company. Thank you in advance for any advice or insight.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...mployment.html
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you, I saw this article in my research as well. I am more so inquiring as if to employers are required to give notice that the offer is contingent on a drug test. I would think that they would mention it in the offer letter when they mentioned the background check contingency? They explicitly stated what the background check would include (ie arrest records, convictions, education verification, etc - no mention of drug test).

Thanks again.
      Last edited by Charlieasha; 09-07-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Maybe. I am not an HR expert and other then have heard pretty much forever that:
        - Do not put anything in a document that you are not legally required to. Do EXACTLY what the law says. No more. No less.
        - Offer letters are generally not legally binding.
        - CA has a great deal of information on their website regarding the handling of drug testing. Every employer I have worked for followed these instructions EXACTLY.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X