2 week notice and final paycheck Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 week notice and final paycheck Utah

I finally picked up a part time job at a fast food joint. Wasn't the greatest, but it was far from the worst.
    So with college starting in a few weeks, I put in my two notice. And the next day I was fired. I wasn't even on duty when they fired me.

So I went in & got my last paycheck only to find out that it's not my final paycheck, that they are no longer bound by the full final paycheck & can wait until the normal pay period. I was under the assumption the last paycheck covered all past unpaid work.
    I'm baffled.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Gonna make a distinction here. You weren't fired; you quit. They just accepted it immediately and did not allow you to work out your notice. This is common and legal. It may, however, be enough to allow you to draw a week of unemployment (Utah, like most states, has a waiting week).

Since you were not fired, but quit, your final pay goes in the regular pay sequence and is not accelerated. If there is pay for which you would normally receive in the next regular paycheck after this one, then you'll get that check at the time all other employees get paid for that same time frame. Utah only requires that all pay be received immediately when the employer instigates the termination, which did not happen here.

They're right.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

agree with cbg that this is going to be viewed as a voluntary termination rather than involuntary, so pay is due at the next pay cycle.

Comment

Working...
      X