Employment Offer Pending Drug/Physical Washington

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Offer Pending Drug/Physical Washington

We extended an offer to a candidate, the MRO cleared the individual for hire with a restriction no operation of a motor vehicle pending clearance by his attending provider. The MRO did not communicate this with the candidate and informed me to do so. The duties associated with this position will require the individual to drive to/from two of our facilities. Will I be in violation of the ADA if I inform the individual I must receive clearance by his attending provider indicating he has no driving restrictions?

Even under ADA, the employer can request documentation. If the MRO is requesting it, that means that he expects that whatever issue came up to be solvable vs an ongoing disability. If the doctor can not give that release, then it might be time for discussion on whether the issue meets the definition under ADA of a disability and then whether the reasonable accommodations would prove undue hardship to the employer. Right now, you are just seeking more information.

eta: was the candidate told that the position required driving? Was he asked if he could perform all duties with or without accommodation?
    Last edited by hr for me; 02-20-2017, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Is this a DOT Physical certification for a CDL or just a regular motor vehicle?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
      X