This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination Laws Illinois

My friend was fired today abruptly from a small, privately owned preschool in Chicago.

I understand employment in Illinois is "at-will", but I do not believe the way they handled it or reason was just.

Although they do not have to provide a reason, they did, but would not allow her to see the alleged video tape of misconduct.

Do they have to provide a copy of the video tape? She was fired by a phone call after she returned home. The call was from the owner, not the HR dept. Is this legal? No in-person meeting and she is not allowed on the premises.

Is this grounds for wrongful termination as they did not complete her training? Can she take action if they do not certify her unemployment claim?

So many questions for somebody who was fired when she should not have been.

Originally posted by chicagoworker View Post
    My friend was fired today abruptly from a small, privately owned preschool in Chicago.

I understand employment in Illinois is "at-will", but I do not believe the way they handled it or reason was just.

Although they do not have to provide a reason, they did, but would not allow her to see the alleged video tape of misconduct.

Do they have to provide a copy of the video tape? She was fired by a phone call after she returned home. The call was from the owner, not the HR dept. Is this legal? No in-person meeting and she is not allowed on the premises.

Is this grounds for wrongful termination as they did not complete her training? Can she take action if they do not certify her unemployment claim?

So many questions for somebody who was fired when she should not have been.
    In at will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law (example religion, race, gender....) or unless there is a CBA or binding employment contract to the contrary. I don't see a wrongful termination based on what is posted.

No, they do not have to provide a copy of video tape. She can be fired by phone, by owner & at her home. She does not have to be allowed back on the premises. They did not have to complete her training before termination. She can apply for unemployment ins. - the STATE will decide if she qualifies for benefits. If denied, a person can generally appeal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

First of all, I'd caution you that you know only one side of the story.

As far as your questions-there is nothing illegal about any of what you've posted, as betty elaborated. Your friend should file for unemployment. If they dispute the claim, there will be a hearing at which time both sides will be able to present their case to the hearing officer, who will make the decision.

Comment

And just for the record, based on what you have posted this would not be a wrongful term anywhere in the US.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree that you only know one side of the story. Also; even things that seem unfair are not always illegal. Unfair does not always equal illegal. (nothing in your post is illegal as posted)
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X