Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning Work Laptop from remote position in California

Hello,

I am wondering what are my rights for a specific issue I am having.

After being terminated from my remote job (W-2), I was asked to return (by mail) the company equipment. I am not a thief, but I was told it was mine to keep, and now they want it back. What to do?
    I have not signed any papers about this. I was given t-shirts, and other freebies along with a used laptop. They also shipped out a computer screen. I had to buy other equipment that now will be useless to me.
    I heard that when you work remote all the equipment that is given to you somehow stays yours, but I am not sure if it's true.
    I don't want any problems with the law, but I am a little upset to give back something that was given to me.

To further complicate this situation, they told me they will ship out shipping labels to return the equipment, all that within 2 weeks of the termination, but they did not sent anything. I am taking advantage of my break to travel, and they are asking me to print the labels and send it by mail while I am away for 2 months. What can happen?

ps: I cant review my work contract for this issue, since I can't re-open the online link

Thanks for any input on that matter.

I have provided HR services and support for over 30 years to employers with many many many employees who worked remotely and who were provided with computer and other equipment by the employers. And never never never was this equipment gifted to the employees. All remote employees were required to return the equipment to their employers when their employment terminated. Always.

(And the equipment we provided to our remote employees was almost always used.)

So I have serious doubts about the knowledge and experience of the person who told you that "when you work remote all the equipment that is given to you somehow stays yours..." (And is this the same person who told you this particular set of equipment was a gift? Or was that someone else? Who and when?)

Regarding having to buy other equipment that will be useless if you return the computer to your former employer, was this equipment required by you to do your job? If so, why didn't your former employer pay for it?

Finally, why can't you open the link to your work contract? (Just curious.)

Comment

You did not buy the equipment therefore it is not yours. Your desire to go on vacation does not grant you the right to hold onto their property. Mailboxes exist all over this planet. Mail it from the road if you must.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
        You did not buy the equipment therefore it is not yours. Your desire to go on vacation does not grant you the right to hold onto their property. Mailboxes exist all over this planet. Mail it from the road if you must.
        I agree, but there is a keyboard and a huge screen, I don't travel with those. They failed to send me any labels during the time they wanted me to send it.

Comment

Their failure to send labels does not make you the automatic owner of their property. You are still legally liable to return it immediately. (And what is preventing you from making your own labels?) If you don't, they may initiate a small claims court claim against you and, based on the information you have provided, they will very likely win. They will also be legally free to tell all of this to any prospective employers (and anyone else, for that matter) who contact them for a reference about you.

That said, can you please answer the questions I asked in my first response? Thanks.
          Last edited by eerelations; 10-14-2016, 04:09 AM.

Comment

I heard that when you work remote all the equipment that is given to you somehow stays yours, but I am not sure if it's true.
            I don't want any problems with the law, but I am a little upset to give back something that was given to me.
            It is not true, and it is patently ridiculous that anyone would claim that. It was not "given" to you in the sense of a gift. It was loaned to you to accomplish a task, and ownership of the items never transferred from the employer. Now that the relationship has ended, you are liable to return the items. If you don't, as mentioned they can sue you and very likely win. If they were feeling particularly vindictive, they could also report it as stolen property.

Comment

Working...
            X