Getting hired after being fired Iowa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired after being fired Iowa

I have a post already that explains my situation and I received some really great advice that helped me make it through a tough job situation so this place has turned into a huge resource and I am very happy that I found it. I got suspended and let go from my job. Now I have to find a good way to jump this hurtle on a resume and in the interview process. I've been doing some reading and frankly I am confused. I have read a lot about what to say or not to but one thing stands out.

Most articles state to not share what happened. Some say to but cast it in a positive light but not many. I've read that this is a gray area. "Don't lie but being downsized and fired is one in the same. These are gray areas." is what I have read. Is that not lying? I was let go for "falsifying a company document and attempting to cover it up". When in reality I clicked on the wrong name on a form with all employees listed and when asked I realized I very well could have done it with how the program is and apologized for the error and vowed to be more careful. Thought that was the end of it until someone must have claimed I did it intentionally and that was that. I do not see how saying I was downsized or anything else would help when they check with my last employer and find out what I was really let go for. I made a mistake with a mouse and probably should have double checked the form. I've been doing these forms for a long time and muscle memory just kicks in and does it. So to speak. I don't deny that I possibly could have made the mistake as I can see it easy to do with the program's format. Issue is I was never shown the form I apparently made the mistake on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am of the school of thought that believes in telling the truth, but only as much of it as is absolutely necessary. In your case something like, "I was let go after I made a mistake in completing an online form. The company took the error very seriously. I can promise you that I have learned to be careful and will never make the same mistake again." You don't need to volunteer more than that. Answer additional direct questions honestly if asked, but again keep to the bare minimum it takes to answer the question. That's all you need. That way a prospective employer is not blindsided by whatever the old employer may say; you've been honest; and most importantly, you have not denigrated your old employer.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

agree with cbg.....honest but basic; While I doubt any past employer would give too many details, I think it is best to be upfront at a minimum level.

Well wishes for a quick and fruitful job search!

Comment

That is the best advice I have read. I can not express how that helps me out. I only got two hours of sleep last night as this has been eating me up not knowing how to proceed. Just the thought of what they fired me for makes me cringe. My integrity and my word are of the most importance to me and this whole situation has been an assault on my pride and ethics like I've never had before. I am going through quite the roller coaster ride of emotions and I want to let that settle down some before I update my resume and get interviews. This helps calm some of those nerves. I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Glad we've been able to help, Kenny. Don't hesitate to come back if there's anything more we can do.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I wish you were in TX near me so I could hire you! I'd rather an employee who owns up to a mistake than one who covers it and then just "doesn't remember" what or how it happened.

Comment

Thank you. I've up to this point always believed to open and honest. I worked at a food plant. A very large one. I've made mistakes in the past 8 1/2 years I've been there. I've alway owned up to them. I told the production manager when they let me go that I've never lied to him and always admitted my mistakes and acknowledge my short comings. He agreed that I have. I told him this is no different and I'm not lying to him now and maintain it was an error. There was no benefit in using someone's name. I was logged in as myself. If I was going to try and forge someone's report I wouldn't do so logged in as myself. I was contacted by numerous former Co workers that want me to use them as references. Most are in other departments then I was in. Hopefully that will help and may possibly be getting a letter of recommendation as well. I hope.

Comment

Working...
              X