Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60-120 days notice to quit and no notice required to fire ? Illinois

Hi,

I am approaching a new job and they sent me an employment agreement that states they can terminate any time with or without cause. However, if I decide to quit I have to give 60 days notice and they can make it 120 days if they want.

Is it normal / legal ?

What are the terms if I want to negotiate?

Not normal and not legal. Employment "at will" applies has to both employer and employee.

Comment

I am inclined to say not enforceable rather than illegal. I doubt if there is a law that prohibits such a limitation, but I also doubt that a court will enforce it either.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, probably not enforceable. However, you could take the "agreement" to a contract or employment attorney for review & advice. I don't know what the consequences could be if you didn't give the required notice except possibly telling a possible future employer during a reference check that you quit without giving required notice.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X