Hiring Practices in Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring Practices in Illinois

My son has applied at the same job 3 different times he has never been called for an interview. The company he applied to has an outside source do the hiring and testing of potential employees. The company told me that all the applications were receive and everyone that was in the pool was exhausted and was called. My son never was contacted. The third time he put the application in he was not called by the hiring service but the Personnel Director of company told him to come in anyway an take the test when the hiring service was here testing applicants. He did so and tested very well from what I was told. There is a hands on test and a written test done at the time of testing and then a phone interview that has to set up after initial testing. When he called to set up the phone interview the lady he talk to was screaming at him over the phone wanting to know who authorized him to come in for testing and then she told him he should of never been called because his name was black flagged because he was on a do not call list!!!!!! He asked why and was not given an answer that made any sense. He told the person on the phone that the Personnel Director told him to come in and take the test. Then she did set up an phone interview. After the phone interview he was told he was not needed because he did not meet the minimum requirements even though he did test well. Is there any law for us to see the testing results? and or do we have any rights to an answer on this subject?

No. I'm sorry, but they have the legal right to administer any test they like that does not specifically violate a law, and they do not have to make the results available to candidates.

Comment

YOU do not have any rights to anything regarding your son's employment. If anyone had any rights to anything it would be ONLY your son.

However, under no law in any state is he entitled to: (a) a copy of the test results; (b) any answer regarding their hiring process; (c); any answer other than "sorry, we are not making you an offer" or (d) a job with any given company no matter how many times he submits an application.

In fact, sometimes applying multiple times for the same job can get you put on a do-not-hire list real fast.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with the above. Especially the repeat applicant part. If someone doesn't meet the requirements, multiple applications is meaningless. If someone seems to apply for just any opening available, it makes the recruiter and company wonder how dedicated they will be to any one of the jobs. I have no idea how you would know how he scored on either test as the company is unlikely to share test scores directly with applicants, let alone their mothers. Even if he knows his score, he shouldn't know the scores of the other applicants. Testing well is only one small part of a hiring process. I also find it difficult to believe that anyone from the company would spell out to an applicant that they are on a "do not hire list". Anything is possible, but typically those are not shared and the only ones who might know for certain they are on the list are those who are on it for a darn good and well known reason. There is no obligation to tell him that he was on such a list, nor why he was not selected for hire. By far the most common reason someone is not selected is that there was another candidate who was better suited to the position.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

"the miss understanding here is that everybody that puts in an application gets called for the testing and they build a pool from which they then hire from, the pool sometimes has 150 to 200 prospects in it the thing is my son was never even afforded the chance to be tested but everybody else was for the last 3 years. All the info on the app. is name, phone, address, and email address. those are the only requirements!!! When the pool runs out they take apps again and go through the process again. When I was told the pool was empty my son had not been called and was told everybody that put an app. in was called he was not. So next time they posted for help he sent in another app. and was overlooked again."
          Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          Agree with the above. Especially the repeat applicant part. If someone doesn't meet the requirements, multiple applications is meaningless. If someone seems to apply for just any opening available, it makes the recruiter and company wonder how dedicated they will be to any one of the jobs. I have no idea how you would know how he scored on either test as the company is unlikely to share test scores directly with applicants, let alone their mothers. Even if he knows his score, he shouldn't know the scores of the other applicants. Testing well is only one small part of a hiring process. I also find it difficult to believe that anyone from the company would spell out to an applicant that they are on a "do not hire list". Anything is possible, but typically those are not shared and the only ones who might know for certain they are on the list are those who are on it for a darn good and well known reason. There is no obligation to tell him that he was on such a list, nor why he was not selected for hire. By far the most common reason someone is not selected is that there was another candidate who was better suited to the position.

Comment

Unless you work for the recruiting company, you wouldn't know how the hiring practice actually works. Sure, lots of high turn over companies use pools. That doesn't mean they automatically exhaust every person in the pool before hiring again. They may exhaust everyone they want to hire before reposting the job and building a new pool, but nothing at all compels them to hire anyone who applies, or even everyone who applies and is qualified on paper. A candidate who has his or her mother (spouse, SO, father, cousin, or child) call on their behalf is not someone many employers are going to be interested in hiring. Companies are hiring the employee, not the family and if someone can not even handle the application process on their own, that does not bode well for being able to handle employment. You may think you are "helping", but it would be much better for your son if you stay out of it and let him be the sole point of contact with the company.

In any case, nothing you have shared is even suspicious or unusual, let alone illegal.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I'm very curious how you know all this about their hiring process. Most companies keep that very confidential. Have you ever considered that the source of your information may not be trustworthy?

Comment

Working...
              X