Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get fired for not providing university transcripts California

Hello,
    I have been working in a private company for two years and a half now. A new administrator started working with us in September, and after reviewing my file, decided that I did not have the sufficient qualifications, and cut my yearly salary by $5000. He is now demanding my transcripts, and has made insinuations and threats. I have no problem providing them, but I am wondering if he has the right to fire me if I decide to not provide them?
    Thanks in advance,
    El.

• ElleMD
    replied
    Sure he can fire you. No law prevents being fired for not complying with an education verification.

Leave a comment:

• ferretrick
    replied
    He has the right to fire you for any reason not specifically excluded by law, or no reason at all, and there's no law that prohibits an employer requesting transcripts.

That said, I would provide the transcripts, but start looking for another job anyway. It sounds like, for whatever reason, this administrator does not want you working for him, and I doubt providing the transcripts will change that.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Originally posted by elrabo View Post
    Hello,
    I have been working in a private company for two years and a half now. A new administrator started working with us in September, and after reviewing my file, decided that I did not have the sufficient qualifications, and cut my yearly salary by $5000. He is now demanding my transcripts, and has made insinuations and threats. I have no problem providing them, but I am wondering if he has the right to fire me if I decide to not provide them?
    Thanks in advance,
    El.
    I'm not sure what kind of insinuations & threats he has made - I assume re possibly firing you. In at-will employment you can be terminated (fired) at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender....) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

If you have the transcripts, I would provide them as requested.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X