Resignation notice - mandatory? New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation notice - mandatory? New York

In the contract it says "you are expected to give 2 weeks notice". Does it means it's mandatory or is just "nice"?

thanks!

That's up to your employer. The law does not take a position one way or the other.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If it's in the contract (an actual contract) to give two weeks notice, it is probably best if you do so. You will need to read your contract & see what (if any) the consequences of not giving two weeks notice are.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Most working people have no contract, and they can leave or the employer can terminate them at will. Giving two weeks notice is just a standard courtesy; there's no legal requirement to do so.

However, you mentioned a contract. If you've actually signed a legally binding contract, than the terms of the contract govern. You need to see what the contract says it can impose as consequences for not giving the notice, and then decide if you can live with those consequences. Since we can't see the contract, we can't advise you more than that.

Comment

Even without a written contract, there may be consequences to failing to give proper notice.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X