This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving notice, maanager asked me to leave earlier with pay

Working for a major firm, the company policy requires me to give 60 notice. I gave the notice but my manager asked to stop working before the end of 60 day period and the company would not pay the days left. It is like giving notice at March 2, the last day should be May 1. However, the manager asked me to move last day to April 2 and would not pay me after April 2.

Is this legal or just unfair? Please help.

The following is from its policy: "The firm may, in its sole discretion, waive all or any part of the applicable notice period and set an earlier termination date. Also the firm may, in its sole discretion, remove you from any assigned duties, assign you to other duties, or require you to remain away from its offices during all or any part of your notice period. During any notice period, employees will be paid their base salary and will continue to receive all mandatory benefits."

Legally a company is only required to pay you for the time you actually work. You can apply for unemployment to bridge the gap between when you left and the end of your notice.

Comment

While the employer can change its policy, the fact that you have in writing that they will pay out the notice period and keep you on benefits is better than most. It sounds like in exchange for the 60 days notice they agreed to pay out the notice.

it's not illegal for them to not pay you, but it is against their policy. I would NOT move my notice period dates and I would definitely speak with HR about the policy above and beyond your manager.

Comment

Since the policy notes they can change/waive or eliminate any of the notice period, they "might" just have to pay from the date notice period changed to. (the new notice period) OP should talk to HR though.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

That was my first thought too Betty, but then the policy goes on to talk about "time required to remain away from the office" during the notice period. I see where the employer could waive the notice period and terminate the employee, but it does also state they would pay out "during any" notice period. It doesn't caveat just those not waived by the employer. Just not the best policy to try to interpret!

On the fair scale if the employer requires 60 days, they should pay out the 60 days if they let the employee go early. But life isn't always fair.

Comment

The policy isn't real clear. It could be though that they only pay from the notice period the employer allows. I was thinking that. OP can see what HR says.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X