Cobra Coverage Info Ohio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra Coverage Info Ohio

I left my job for other employment on 12/22/14. My ex employer has not sent me any cobra coverage info at this time. It has been 58 days. I am not eligible for insurance coverage at the new employer for 90 days. I have prescriptions that I am unable to fill that I need to be taking and can not see a doctor because I have no health coverage. I am in Ohio. What are my options at this point? I just do not know where to start.

COBRA is administered by the US DOL. You can always call them and make a complaint.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Have you contacted, or made any attempt to contact, your former employer or its HR department about COBRA continuation coverage? I assume the employer had more than 20 employees and is required to offer COBRA continuation?

Did your coverage end on your termination date, or end of that month? In addition to cbg's suggestion, assuming from your post you want the coverage (at least until your new employer's coverage starts), you might want to send written notice, probably certified mail, return receipt requested, that you want to exercise your COBRA continuation rights. You might also state in that letter that you have not received any COBRA continuation notice. I would send that letter today. (I'm being overly cautious but picturing a scenario wherein they sent you a COBRA notice that you did not receive for some reason, and you are denied coverage for failing to apply within the appropriate time frame.)

Good luck.
      While I may work for lawyers, I am not an attorney. Comments I make are based on my working experiences and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

Comment

Working...
      X