No announcement yet.

Offer Accepted but now background... how far back can a back ground check go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer Accepted but now background... how far back can a back ground check go

I just accepted a position to start Feb 2. They just now sent me a Background check form to fill out. This position is over $75,000.00 I am in California and they are in New York. How far back can a criminal check go back? If a misdemeanor has been almost 20 years old will it show up?
    Very nervous.

Were there any questions on the application or during the interview where you could have brought this up but didn't? Because th New York state and city law does not prohibit employers from asking: “Have you ever been convicted of an offense?” If you lied, it could be a problem.

Here is what I found: "May a background check contain records of criminal convictions in New York State?
    It depends. If the job position an applicant is seeking has an annual salary of less than $25,000, then the background check may only report criminal convictions that occurred in the previous seven years. If the job position has an annual salary equal to or greater than $25,000, then all criminal convictions may be reported."

So yes, it could show up. It might or it might not depending on how the bg check is setup. And the employer might or might not care.

Comment

Whether it shows up depends on what type & how thorough of a background check the employer does/wants. As the other responder said, it could. All background cks. are not the same.

Whether they would care, we can't say. They can/could care if the offense has any direct relationship to the job.

Always read the questions on any application/form for employment carefully & always answer truthfully.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X