Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida About to leave company that owes me $60,000 in future commissions Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida About to leave company that owes me $60,000 in future commissions Florida

I am an outside sales rep for a door company that specializes in commercial construction in Florida. I am straight commission. Since we are in the construction industry, some of my projects take years to complete. I am usually paid the month after we deliver material to the jobsite. From Feburary 2008- May 2014 I had not had a written sales agreement. Everything was based on a hand shake. My original commission deal was 15% of the estimated gross profit if I handed the job to a project manager to run, it was 25% of the net profit if I were to run the project. As of May 2014, I finally received a written sale agreement, and in that agreement everything is the same except the compensation for project managing the project is now 27%. I am about to leave the company and I am owed $70,000 in future commissions. Since some of these projects take a year or two to complete, am I still entitled to this money after termination? Also, if I am currently running the some of the projects, I would assume that the future commission for these would adjust to the 15% amount, since someone else will be taking over the project. Am I correct in saying this? On a side note, I have a letter from my employer from March of 2013, stating that upon termination all commissions will be paid.

Thanks for reading.

You might want to try giving your employer a list of what you believe you have earned up to now, and make sure you are both in agreement before you leave. If there is some disagreement, you may be able to file a claim for unpaid wages - but given the amount of money at stake, you should take your commission agreement to an attorney to review. None of us here are able to advise you on the strength of that contract or the letter, and I think it will all depend on the results of that review.

Good luck.

Comment

You're talking about a lot of money here. Agree that you might want to take your commission agreement & letter to an employment or contract attorney for review & advice.

Good luck.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agree with JJ. I know there are some time limits on how far back you can contest wages. You may not want to wait until you don't get those paid to have some type of agreement on what and when it is owed. And it should give you a good idea if the employer has changed their position on future commissions.

Comment

thanks

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm going to be leaving next week and need to hire an attorney.

Comment

Working...
          X