This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laid off. Then fired

Well I failed a drug test. Well doctor called me before he called the company. So I asked my Forman for a lay off. So he give me a good layoff. I had both checks in hand.an was on my way home. Bout a half hour later payroll called up an told my employer that guy you just giv a good lay off too failed a drug test. My question is can they change that after they giv me a good layoff.

Almost certainly yes, they can. But you will have to tell us in which state this took place before we can say for certain.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

laid off.then fired

I thought I did put state. Sorry. But I am in ohio. If I go to work for a different employer for the rest of this wk an 2 days next wk. Could I file for us then.

Comment

So you failed a drug test and before your employer got the report, asked for a lay off to avoid being fired. Now that the employer knows you failed, they want to fire you. It is absolutely legal for them to do this. The fact that you tried to trick them and evade being terminated does nothing though they can certainly share that information with anyone who calls for a reference and the state unemployment office.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

layed off fired

Ok. But if I work for another company for two weeks can I then file for unemployment. An be ok

Comment

If you go to work for another employer for two weeks and then quit, no, you cannot collect unemployment. Because then it would become why you left the new employer that matters. While it is technically possible to get unemployment if you quit, it would not be possible in this case.

And if you go to work for another employer for two weeks and don't quit, you will not be eligible for unemployment because then you will be working.

If you go to work for another employer for two weeks and they fire you, then maybe you could get unemployment but it would depend on why they fire you.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

No. I can get a job for two wks. Then get a good layoff.

Comment

If you are laid off or fired from a new job, you *might* qualify for benefits, but it is never a sure thing. That is especially true if you are only there 2 weeks.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Really. I dont normally do the stuff. But they told us we was getting laid off friday. So I was with some freind an I said what the heck. ( my bad) well the lay off was postponed an bam I got hit with a random. An that my freind was my fault. First time in 20 yrs I touched the stuff an it bit me in the but. Lol. But thanks for your help

Comment

Do you realize that if you ask for a layoff, even if the employer says, "Okay, I'll write down layoff instead of fired," the unemployment office can still deny you? Do you realize that asking to be laid off is the same as quitting for unemployment purposes?

Comment

You can't ask to be laid off & then expect to get UI. The employer has to be the one who initiated the layoff - then you might get UI.

(If that is what you were planning on doing -asking.)
                      Last edited by Betty3; 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I work construction. People does it all the time. I have 25 yrs in construction working. I hav seen it more than 25 time someone ask for a layoff. If ya did that company a good job. Sure they will do it. Just saying

Comment

No one is saying a company won't write down "layoff" instead of fired.

What we are saying is that the UI office does not just look for the word "layoff" and automatically grant benefits if they see it. They can and do ask questions, and if the company acknowledges that you asked for a layoff (and why wouldn't they? It causes their rates to go up when you get unemployment benefits. Why would they want to pay more than they need to?) the UI office can and does deny unemployment.

And if the company puts down layoff instead of quit? That's fraud, my friend, and the company can get into a lot of trouble doing that. Not to mention that if it's discovered after you've been paid any benefits, you can be required to pay them back. And quite possibly be fined yourself.

Comment

Well I'm just saying. I know of multiple company's that do it. And they put down lack of work. It happens. Its just like politics. I no its not rite. But it happens. Employers are just as bad as employee s

Comment

You and or your employer may have gotten away with it before. You may even get away with it again. But it IS illegal, and sooner or later you WILL be caught.

Comment

Working...
                              X