No announcement yet.

unpaid leave for being "charged" with a felony not convicted Florida Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid leave for being "charged" with a felony not convicted Florida Florida

hello everyone my apologies if I sound a little naive but I've never been arrested before in my 38 years of life. I was charged with two felony counts one for stealing and the other for dealing in stolen goods.I was arrested prior to the investigation starting the investigation started the day after i got arrested. Its been 5day still no report has been filed but my job put me in an administrative leave unpaid.

I traded some equipment on Craigslist received a total of 5 items two of the items came back they were reported missing from my jobwhich happens to be a clean in clean out facility. before making the deal on Craigslist I verified the serial numbers to ensure that the items were not reported lost or stolen which they were not when I sold the items I advertise the serial number for the buyers themselves to check that the items were not stolen but yet still I got charged without an investigation and now my life is on hold.

I was released on RoR and got a lawyer immediately both the lawyer and also a friend of mine who's in law enforcement believe that they don't have a case and the charges will be dropped but yet my life has been placed on hold is this legal

Yes, it is legal for your employer to place you on leave under these circumstances.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

From what you posted, it is hard to tell why you think you had authorization to trade/sell employer products or property. Even if you got permission from say your boss, and he didn't have the authority to give it to you (but you didn't know that), you can still be held liable and lose your job or be put on leave.

Not only can they place you on leave, but they could terminate you without any evidence and little investigation if they suspect you of stealing and selling those stolen items. An employer relationship with you is not like a court of law where one side has to prove that evidence exists. But it sounds like they do have some type of idea that products from your workplace were traded by you to someone else. You don't get to control the time table of either the employer's or the police's investigation of the situation.

Your employer doesn't have to wait for a conviction to put you on leave and/or terminate you.

Comment

Originally posted by hr for me View Post
        From what you posted, it is hard to tell why you think you had authorization to trade/sell employer products or property. Even if you got permission from say your boss, and he didn't have the authority to give it to you (but you didn't know that), you can still be held liable and lose your job or be put on leave.

Not only can they place you on leave, but they could terminate you without any evidence and little investigation if they suspect you of stealing and selling those stolen items. An employer relationship with you is not like a court of law where one side has to prove that evidence exists. But it sounds like they do have some type of idea that products from your workplace were traded by you to someone else. You don't get to control the time table of either the employer's or the police's investigation of the situation.

Your employer doesn't have to wait for a conviction to put you on leave and/or terminate you.
        I didn't trade the items from my job with someone. I traded my own items to someone that had a listing on Craigslist 5 in total and 2 of those items a month or so later came back has missing. I have no idea if that person also works theres over 1000 people work there
        Last edited by elmayimbe; 10-21-2014, 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hr for me

Hr for me sorry for the confusing message. These are to different jobs the one that asked me to resign "due to personal issues" is the one that stated that I should have know that the items I got from Craigslist were stolen. My second job was the one that placed me on leave pending the results of the police investigation.

Hope this was a bit more clear... thanks for your input

Comment

Based on what you posted, no employer did anything illegal.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Funny how tendering a formal apology can fix so many issues in life. Just tell the truth, provide as much verification as possible, and apologize. Then ask for forgiveness.

If you are truthful with us, then it might help you. Better off making a reasonable attempt to save your job than not and finding a room in the Concrete Hilton waiting for you.
              I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
              Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
              I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
              Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

However, the OP asking if this is legal - the answer is yes re the employers' actions.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X