Company Car Iowa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Car Iowa

We are going to terminate an employee who works in a different state. They are the only employee located in that state. The employee has a company car and we are wondering the best way to collect that. The employee has medical issues so we do not want to burden them with having to return it somewhere themselves, but it is also a messy termination situation so we do not want to send anyone to the home to collect the car. Any suggestions?

Can you hire someone (not someone from the company) to go get it or do you still think that would be a problem?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I think that would be ideal - but who? Would some kind of courier or repo service do this? We can't just hire a guy off the street.

Comment

Company car as in owned by the company? Or as in leased by the company? If leased, maybe the leasing company can do the pickup.

Not your question, but this is yet one more reason why company cars are a bad idea. I worked for one place where a plant manager gave "his" car to his girl friend. Then broke up. The car had been in the wind more then a year before he quit. We ended up having to report the car as stolen. Then she sued us. Fun times.

Past that, no matter what the quality of the termination company property needs to be returned. Certainly talk to the employee, but be professional and give the employee the chance to do the same. You should have a standard "recover company property" policy and you should follow your policy.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I'm not sure I understand why sending someone to spend 30 seconds getting the keys from him and driving the car back is undoable. The keys can always be left in an envelope or mailed to the company or exchanged with a friend/family member of the employee. Heck, if he really can't bear to look at someone from the company, he can send it by singing telegram. If the employee is not totally unable to drive, I would still make it his responsibility to return the car and any other property.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree that it should really be the employee's responsibility to see that you get your property (car) back. However, I guess you have to do what works best for you.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Whether it's the company car or the company computer and files in his possession ...each side has some role,to,get it back to proper owner ?

If Jim Jones is sent out to pick up,car and files does it really matter if Jim is an employee or hired agent ?
              Seems to me what matters is that everybody is on same page that XX morning about YY to ZZ time is" agreeable " and just get it done ...BTW The pickup person would be smart to photo and inventory just about everything picked up and make sure it's oil and gas in the tanks if " sabotage" is at all a possibility ?

Comment

I would be wary of hiring just any old person to retrieve and return company property. For one, that person may or may not be covered under the company's auto/liability/property policy should something happen. I'd be much more comfortable with a known entity doing any pick up/drop off/return. Your mileage may very, no pun intended.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Been there, done that. The ee knows it needs to be picked up, right? Have courage, rise above and someone from the company go get the car. What do you think will happen?

Comment

Working...
                  X