This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS CAN SAY ABOUT YOU Missouri Ohio

I just resigned from my job for fear of being terminated or fired. The way I did may make my previous employers furious. I was called for a meeting which I feel was about terminating my employment......then instead of appearing for the meeting I faxed a letter of resignation immediately. While I was working for this health organization I made some mistakes which were recorded by my supervisor. If my prospective employer calls my supervisor is she required to furnish them with this recorded info.

Employers are legally allowed to say anything they want, to whomever they want, about former employees, as long as what they say is true or they believe it to be true.

Comment

Is she REQUIRED to? No.

Is she ALLOWED to? Yes.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, a former employer can say anything that is true or is their honest opinion of
        what they believe to be true. However, they are not *required* to notify them of
        your mistakes which was your question.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Might depend on the mistakes. Example. Bob is a school bus driver who was fired for coming to work drunk and running over a bunch of school kids. If he does the same thing again for another employer, the first employer who said nothing is in a very weak position legally.

But it is certainly correct that 99%+ of the time it is legal for the employer to say nothing. And as stated, it is always legal for the employer to make any statement that they believed to be true at the time they made it.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I would think that would be more of a crime than a mistake.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I do not disagree. But if "Bob" were the one posting the question, I suspect that Bob would call it a "mistake". I had an employee who drove to work fall down drunk and he referred to it as a "mistake". As far as I know he did not kill anyone (that time) but I assumed it was just a matter of time.

We could probably come up with different examples where Bob was not formally charged with a crime but no one in their right mind would want to retain him as an employee. Say a night nurse whose patients keep dying even if no one knows for sure why. Employers are not courts of law. They do not need to "convict" someone to fire them.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I was just saying that your example to me would be more of a crime than a mistake.

Comment

thanks so much for the answers.

I need volunteers.

I will give the number of my previous employer and have someone pose as prosepective employer and then tell me what they said.

Is that Ok

Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by petejohnson48 View Post
                    thanks so much for the answers.

I need volunteers.

I will give the number of my previous employer and have someone pose as prosepective employer and then tell me what they said.

Is that Ok

Pete.

Personally I dont think you should be solicting such actions from this sites members
                    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agree, we don't do that. You will have to call yourself or have a friend or
                      relative call.

Comment

That's above and beyond what a message board can or should do for you and not a service we provide. That's something that should only be done by a trusted friend or a reference checking service.
                        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'll do it for 50K.

Comment

50K? I can beat that. $49,9K.
                            I'm such a cheapskate!
                            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                            I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                            Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Working...
                            X