X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forced transfer? termination? Massachusetts

Hello,

My former employer in Ma tried to force me to transfer to another company location 40+ miles away. I declined the transfer and they took my keys saying I resigned. Is this a termination which allows me to collect in MA?

A little bit of information to this. I was working part time at one of their other locations a year ago. They offered me a job at my former location. I accepted it full time. When I went there I was "Hired" there as a new employee at that location.

I'm sure this is to cheat the employee out of benefits because the out of pocket expenses for medical is higher for new employees and there are no vacation days for new employees.

This was not considered a transfer by them. I worked there for over a year. Now they want to force me to transfer back to the other location. They are saying its one big company and they can do this.

Can I collect?

That would be up to the state UI folks to decide. If you declined the transfer,
    they "might" consider that a quit. You will have to apply & see. If you are
    denied, you can appeal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

any rules?

What are the laws for this?
      Are you saying a Walmart in Boston can tell an employee they are transfering their work hours to the Walmart in Springfield and there is nothing stopping them? Are there guidelines they must follow? Are they online where they can be read?

Comment

Yes, an employer can transfer you. If the distance is quite great & you don't
        take the job, the UI people will take that into consideration. It's up
        to the UI office to decide what is reasonable. 40 miles isn't really that far in
        relation to how far some people travel.

You have to apply for UI & let the UI folks decide if you get benefits or not. There
        is no way we can know.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

An employee in Boston can be transfered to Las Vegas and it would not be in violation of any law. It's up to the employer where an employee works; there are no laws or limits to where they can be transferred. Whether refusing a transfer of 40 miles will be considered a valid reason to quit and get UI is something only the DUA can answer.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X