X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daisyd
    started a topic Former Employer "Black balling" me Michigan

Former Employer "Black balling" me Michigan

I was laid off in December. It was obvious to me that the lay off was coming as I had refused to do a few illegal things I was asked to do. I knew my employer was making a case to get rid of me. He coudn't, my work was perfect and I always recieved glowing reviews. Instead, he laid me off. This was fine with me because the work environment was very hostile.

I left peacefully. I was not given the opportunity to complete my current projects, but I did give instructions (which I did on my own, I was not asked to do this).

A few weeks later I recieved a phone call from someone from another company who my previous company used to do work with. (Not a co-worker). He told me that the owner of our company (my former boss) told him I was fired because I was grossly incompetent. This person who I used to work with knew my work and didn't believe this was true. (I had no prior relationship with this person. He had to look up my phone number just to call me.) This information troubled me, and I did some investigating and I found out that my former employer has been bad-mouthing me to everyone I used to work with. He also found out I applied for a job to another company, and went to that company and told them not to hire me. This field I am in is a pretty close-knit community. There aren't many options for me, and he is bad mouthing me to all the options I do have so that I can't get a job around here. Also, my contract with them required me to sign a document that allowed them to discuss my employment with anyone who inquires about it. It clearly states that if I don't sign that document, they will only verify dates of employment. I never signed anything that gave them permission.

My question is: What how should I handle this? I want to contact the companies I know he's contacted, but I don't know how to do that without seeming vindictive. I don't know how to stop him from black balling me. Especially because what he is saying is un-true. I assume this illegal, but how would I even prove such a thing? Is it illegal for me to share the States's findings on this matter (he tried to lie to that state also, so that I couldn't get unemployment, but the State found in my favor saying he was dishonestabout many things even about my discharge date.)
    Last edited by daisyd; 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM.

• cbg
    replied
    Originally posted by Shep3470 View Post
    Talk to an lawyer. If you can get the other companies to testify what your old boss is telling them then you have a case for defamation/slander.
    That's not necessarily true, Shep. It depends on EXACTLY what is being said. Not everything negative is actionable.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    The fact that your work was "perfrect" does not protect you from termination in virtually all states unless you have a CBA.

Employment at will means that you can be terminated for any reason including the fact that they just dont like you, regardless of whether your work is good or not.

Leave a comment:

• Shep3470
    replied
    Talk to an lawyer. If you can get the other companies to testify what your old boss is telling them then you have a case for defamation/slander.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    You will need to discuss the specifics of this one with an attorney in your state, who will be able to review the specifics in more detail than you can (or should) do here and who can then go over your options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X